Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

High RPM's when starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM
64ford
1st Gear Member

Default High RPM's when starting

This could be a old question but I will still ask: Can anyone explain the High Revs when you first start your GT? I have gotten use to it but it can't be good for the engine. I have just gotten mine back from the dealer doing an oil change, when I started her today I glanced in the mirror and saw some blue smoke[>:]. This adds to the concern. When my car has not been started in a few days,the car stays in the garage and only gets driven on the weekends, and I start her up the RPM's get to 2 grand! When she is warm and been sitting she goes to about 1500. Can anyone ease the concerns or should I have her at the dealer? Any opinions?[sm=youreright.gif]
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Default RE: High RPM's when starting

2K isn't "high rpms"

I suspect "Spanish Oak" spins the engine a bit to make it easier to start, and warm up the pistons etc quickly.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

When I start mine cold(first start of the day) it usually jumps to 1500 rpm then idles down to 900-1000 rpm within 10 secs when maybe 700-800 rpm 10 secs after that. The rest of my starts are usually pretty calm though 1100-1200 rpm berfore idling down But I don't see this as problematic. But 2K would seem a tad high for start up.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

try this:

https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=1773778

seems this usually helps a lot of throttle issues, cant hurt.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Nine0Nine

It's normal. The ECU kicks the idle up on start up. When it's cold it goes higher. My CBR1000RR and my CBR600RR do it also. Carburetors use to do it also. It prevents the engine from dying until it warms up a little. My TL1000R is fuel injected but it does not have the automatic fast idle on start up. You have to do it manually with a lever. I can say that when I forget to do it, the bike starts and dies instantly. Cold engines like a faster idle.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Mine did the same thing until I tuned it out with my SCT. I don't think starting with high rpm is good for any engine. Mine starts now at normal rpm and does not die, surge or have any problem.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

That is pretty normal, this is something in the Ford Manual about this, I was reading it the other day....now on the other hand smoke is not good..how many miles do you have?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

its my understanding that any modern car is programmed to idle higher at startup to heat up the engine faster and help lubrication. my buddy's 06 RSX type S idles at 2100 for about a minute after startup.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I know this isn't quite the same but its along the same lines... Has anyone ever noticed that when you run your car up in say 2nd gear to like 4 grand or so, and then press the clutch in or take it out of gear, it takes the motor F-O-R-E-V-E-R to idle back down? and like after its warmed up, like sittin next to someone, you rev the motor up and it takes forever for it to come back down to an idle... Is there a fix to make it drop back to idle faster? I don't like it....especially sittin next to someone revvin, when their motor revs and drops back to an idle, its pretty lame to rev your motor and it takes like 4 seconds to return to an idle. Any one figured out how to make it drop back to an idle faster? It drops back to an idle fast in the mornings, like when i start it up, I'll roll out of the garage and tap the throttle, and bump it up to like 3000 or so and it drops back down pretty quick....but not after it warms up. I don't understand. Please any help is welcome
Cory
Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Well, before i added mods and tuned it, it would start up fine when it was cold (no high RPMs). After the tune, when i would turn it on cold, the RPMs jumped to about 2900 and it sat there for about 4 secs and then settled down. I took it to my tuner and he changed the camshaft angle and spark at start up, and now it goes to about 2300 which is still high. Not quite sure whats causing it, but when i restore stock tune, it goes back to normal. So dont really know what it is yet.

Quick Reply: High RPM's when starting