Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple, how long to get calibration tool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Whipple, how long to get calibration tool?

For those who purchased the whipple, how long did it take for ford racing to send the tool after you requested it through their website?

It says 7-10 business days.[:@] I just finished the registration and if doesn't come before next Friday i'll be screwed. Well not screwed, but pissed!

What circumference did you put in for the stock tires? I put 85.379 inches based on an online calculator. I hope that's right. I'll probably run a 255/50 or 275/50 in the future for the street, but i'm not worried about the slight difference.

Oh, i put in 91 octane even though I have 93 available. I never could get my 93 tune to work with the 93 gas around here so I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple, how long to get calibration tool?

On a side note. The instructions say you need to remove the pcm to read the code on the back. It's not necessary to disconnect the battery or unplug any connections. Just unbolt the two 10mm bolts and tilt it forward.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

For those who purchased the whipple, how long did it take for ford racing to send the tool after you requested it through their website?

It says 7-10 business days.[:@] I just finished the registration and if doesn't come before next Friday i'll be screwed. Well not screwed, but pissed!

What circumference did you put in for the stock tires? I put 85.379 inches based on an online calculator. I hope that's right. I'll probably run a 255/50 or 275/50 in the future for the street, but i'm not worried about the slight difference.

Oh, i put in 91 octane even though I have 93 available. I never could get my 93 tune to work with the 93 gas around here so I didn't want to take any chances.
I had ordered mine on a Friday. They shipped it on Monday and I received it Tuesday.

I put in 85.35 inches for the stock P-Zero Nero tires. My speedo is a bit off though. About 3mph faster at 55 than my GPS shows. Gets worse the faster I go.

I also got the 91 tune even though I use 93... Not worth the risk of getting some crappy 93...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I wonder about the wait for shipping as well. I ordered mine at 3 am this morning(couldn't sleep) I measured the diameter of the rear wheel in various places and multiplied by pi to get 84.78 inches. Speaking of getting ready for the supercharger install, I seem to be missing my FRPP Pro-Assemble tool...you know the one that has the big switch. Flip it and the supercharger kit assembles and installs itself. Did you guys get yours?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i did receive that, it just took 8 days
for the special tool to do it's thing
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Don't do that ****. You had me worried until i got to the bottom of your post. I can't start my install until Sunday because I have to drive the stang tomorrow to the mustang vs. GTO shootout in Gainesville. I have asembled the heat exchanger and read the direction a hundred times. I removed my hood liner and cleaned the engine.

Don't try to use the stockMAF screws, they are not the right threads. I took the new MAF housing, which is freaking beefy for what it does, to the hardware store and found some nice allen head screws with a .70 pitch that screwed right in. Those mothers were .45 cents each so whipple owes me .90 cents plus tax.

ORIGINAL: ytix

Yeah, I wonder about the wait for shipping as well. I ordered mine at 3 am this morning(couldn't sleep) I measured the diameter of the rear wheel in various places and multiplied by pi to get 84.78 inches. Speaking of getting ready for the supercharger install, I seem to be missing my FRPP Pro-Assemble tool...you know the one that has the big switch. Flip it and the supercharger kit assembles and installs itself. Did you guys get yours?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 AM
ytix
1st Gear Member

moose, thanks for the heads-up on the MAF screws. Right back at ya with this one: the MAF housingis held to theair cleaner venturi with four Allen screws which are too short. Only 1 or 2 rows of threads in the venturi are engaged by these too-shortAllen screws when the MAF housing, air cleaner box and venturi are assembled. The venturi threads will rip out when the screws are tightened down (oops!). Went to Lowes and got some 20 mm long hex cap screws (M6 1.00).

And so the Easter egg hunt for Whipple install snafus continues...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hmmmmmm, it does put any kind of gasket between the maf and heat shield. I think I'll put a small amount of gasket maker there, it can't hurt anything. I'll pick up some longer screws for it, my maf and venturi were screwed together for some reason.

ORIGINAL: ytix

moose, thanks for the heads-up on the MAF screws. Right back at ya with this one: the MAF housingis held to theair cleaner venturi with four Allen screws which are too short. Only 1 or 2 rows of threads in the venturi are engaged by these too-shortAllen screws when the MAF housing, air cleaner box and venturi are assembled. The venturi threads will rip out when the screws are tightened down (oops!). Went to Lowes and got some 20 mm long hex cap screws (M6 1.00).

And so the Easter egg hunt for Whipple install snafus continues...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

By the way, i have about 1/2 inch worth of threads sticking out, so I don't see a need for longer bolts. Not sure what happened with yours.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Moose, I love how you have taken over these forums now that you got your Whipple

I hope all is going well with the new unit!