Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

Hey guys,

Would someone like to describe for me the proper way to do a burn-out? I have always wanted to learn how to do it but didn't want to just try it out and fry my clutch or look like a complete idiot doing it wrong.

If someone would be kind enough to detail the steps that would be great!! My Sonic 5spd GT will love you for it!!

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

its called a brake-stand i believe. . .

rev up high. . . dump clutch and go strait over to break with left foot. . . car rocks forward a foot or so then stops and begins to spin spin spin
Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well first thing make sure your traction control is off. Then you will need to learn the art of riding the brake and gas pedal at the same time. You use the tip of your foot on the gas and the heal on the brake. Then you use your left foot for the clutch, and the only reason you use the brake is to keep your car from accelerating away and gaining traction. Now you will rev the car up to about 3500 rpms + or - sum depending on road conditions. Now dump the clutch with your left foot while your right foot is lightly on the break and gas. Now your tires will start to spin and you will have to feather the clutch and gas to keep the tires going. You would be better off having someone who is good at it showing you how to do it. One Important note is make sure you are either on an empty rode with alot of room and visiblity or an abandoned parking lot preferably. That way if you let off and grab traction you wont leave the road or hurt anyone. Also note that this while it may look cool will definately decrease the life of your clutch.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

Hey guys,

Would someone like to describe for me the proper way to do a burn-out? I have always wanted to learn how to do it but didn't want to just try it out and fry my clutch or look like a complete idiot doing it wrong.

If someone would be kind enough to detail the steps that would be great!! My Sonic 5spd GT will love you for it!!

Thanks!
You come right over to my house gurl an ill show how it's done...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
airbornesoon

how do you put the toe on the gas and the heel on the clutch? obvioulsly 2 different feet right? if you just let off the clutch slowly you will burn out.. but definatly not good for the clutch..
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: airbornesoon

how do you put the toe on the gas and the heel on the clutch? obvioulsly 2 different feet right? if you just let off the clutch slowly you will burn out.. but definatly not good for the clutch..
I like my idea better....
Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: airbornesoon

You caught that too huh? Hmmm.... As far as the brake stand - That will fry the rear brakes in nothing flat. I just wind up to 3500-4000 and drop the clutch and floor it, grab second and then third and let the car move on its own. Vid Clip
Old 08-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Black1999Cobra

I take and put my right foot on both the brake and the gas. I push down (with clutch in) on the brake and gas. Once I hit about ~3500 rpms I let the clutch out fairly quickly to cause the tires to spin. Once they have started spinning, I rock my right foot left and right depending if I need more gas or more brake.

I know it sounds hard (I was told this off another forum), but the first time I tried it i had smoke rolling off the rear tires.

Or just buy a line lock kit.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

its called a trans brake.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well it works good for me maybe because I have size 14 shoes. I dont know but I do know that I said it was bad for your clutch, I can say that I have boiled the tires on a 4 cylinder s10 for about 5 minutes straight and only rolled maybe 20 feet. This was when I was 18 that was ten years ago. You will have to shift up sometimes to keep the tires from gaining traction if the rpms and power drop you will hook which is a bad thing. And no just so you understand I do not ride the clutch the whole time. However I will ocassionaly use the clutch to keep the rpm's up in a gear. I however no longer do this in my cars because I got tired of buying tires and clutches. I also blew an engine or two from trying to do John Force style burnouts in 4 cylinder cars.

Quick Reply: How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...