Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much better is 05+ GT than....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default How much better is 05+ GT than....

A few friends of mine with there cars. I am hoping to take my car to the track with a few of them in a week or so. Any tips for getting better 1/4 times.

Standard 1.8 L Prelude with CAI and Turbo.
Auto 2006 Civic, non SI. Turboed.
Standard 03-04 Cobra's.
Standard Dakota R/T driver claims ~450 HP.
Any Year Ford Lightnings.

My Car:
2005 GT Mustang
Standard
CAI and 93 octane tune.
Waiting on Exhaust (Boorla and H pipe)
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much better is 05+ GT than....

you will smoke the ricers

the Cobra will destroy you

i think the Dakota guy is a lil off on the hp rating

the lightning wont hook up and you will prob be dead even
Old 08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

It's all going to depend on the driver and track conditions. I think the only ones out of that group that would be beat are the Honda's and stuff. The Lightnings are fairly quick. Though without drag radials you may be able to get close or beat him. I haven't seen too many Cobras at the track, but I'm sure they can get into the 12s without a problem. The Dodge, I don't really know anything about Dodge trucks. I reckon it would be something like the Lightning, so I guess the same deal applies. This is just guesstimating, but just have a good time.

As far as tips, run stock tire pressure you first run. Only to see how well you are grabbing traction. Then lower it as needed. I've never gone lower then 25 psi, but some go lower.

You won't need to do a fancy burnout, sometimes you may just want to spin the tires a little just to clean debris off them (after you make a few passes debris will cling on because the rubber will be so soft.) but just make sure you drive AROUND the water box.

Practice some before you actually go to the track, on your launches that is. If you're a manual just rev to about 2000-2500 RPMs. Don't just LET GO of the clutch. You want to ease out of the clutch and ease into the gas simultaneously. If you let go of the clutch too fast, and press in the gas too fast... You'll only spin spin spin... It's a technique that you have to develop with practice.

I'd say shift at 6000 RPMs. Depending where you live track conditions may be severely hot. I'm sure your track sells bags of ice. Sometimes it's useful to put it on your intake as you're waiting at the gate. Try and keep your hood up and the engine off as often as possible so you can keep the heat down. All in all, just enjoy yourself and have fun.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:33 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

definetely do there with drag radials. our cars are good from a dig. with DR's you will get a very good launch. ricers no problem.. dont even compare. cobra will kill you.. but not DESTROY you.. destroy means puts a bus on you and a stock cobra on 1/4 mile will not oput a bus on a new GT

about R/T daocta, what he got under the hood, he claims 450hp? if he really got that HP, then he is faster. easy!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I never thought about a few of those things about heat factor.
I have a stick and have been drving for about 3 months [sm=noooo.gif] But I don't Stall or miss gears. How much will 4.10's and a Hurst shifter help?

The R/T Dakota supposedly has 10k under the hood with no chargers or a turbo.

Can you guys recommened anything but a charger or turbo that will help me ketch up.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

nitrous but in my opinion its dirty, your a 5 speed right? 4.30 gears, and yes they are sutable for DD in the T-3650 with a stock 26" tall tire
Old 08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

I have a stick and have been drving for about 3 months [sm=noooo.gif] But I don't Stall or miss gears. How much will 4.10's and a Hurst shifter help?

Can you guys recommened anything but a charger or turbo that will help me ketch up.
with forced indusction, you will blow all those cars doors! (stock) and l believe you wouldnt have 410hp dakota either.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Get a zex 75 shot nitrous, with a dyno tune so you won't harm your engine, 4:10 gear, d/r, practice at the track and you'll beat everything except the 450 h.p dakata if he trurly has that.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

with forced indusction, you will blow all those cars doors! (stock) and l believe you wouldnt have 410hp dakota either.
and that would cost ow much?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: doodad

and that would cost ow much?
with 5 grand you can get saleen supercharger (not installed) with 5 grand, you can get vortech supercharger Installed! and blow show stock or slightly modified cobras some tail lights.

Quick Reply: How much better is 05+ GT than....