Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP!!! IM SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 AM
BLackie
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP!!! IM SLOW

Okay. Some one please help me. I have a 06 stick. What do 4.10's really do for the car? hows the shifting? what is the track times with them, do they help on street driving. How do they pull in the different gears. Should i buy them. i want my car to pull like a bitch. i know they dont add hosepower but do they add torque? and if so how much? I have a tune already and can ajust if needed. okay im don with the questions. Give me your peronal experiences with them installed.....
Old 10-07-2006, 01:19 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!! IM SLOW

if you ever owned a dirt bike, it would be like
putting a larger diameter sprocket on the rear
wheel...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Rypper1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLackie

Okay. Some one please help me. I have a 06 stick. What do 4.10's really do for the car? hows the shifting? what is the track times with them, do they help on street driving. How do they pull in the different gears. Should i buy them. i want my car to pull like a bitch. i know they dont add hosepower but do they add torque? and if so how much? I have a tune already and can ajust if needed. okay im don with the questions. Give me your peronal experiences with them installed.....
4.10's just give the motor better leverage against the car. They make it easier for the motor to move the car. The gears will give you a little better 1/4 time but not as much as most think. One reason you don't gain more is you will have to shift into 4th instead of going through the traps in 3rd. HP and Torque don't change, it's all in the leverage. But if you are going to stay NA I would say get them. I did and am happy with them. I may put the 3.55's back in when I go FI.

Randy
Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Well, to answer your questions.

#1 What do 4.10's do for the car? They get you into the power band quicker. 2 stangs beside each other, same car etc. The 4.10's will hit redline first and have to go up a gear first. This based on speed, etc everything being the same. So imagine a guy having to wait for his car/speed/rpm to get up to a certain point to shift, you were at that point before him so you are in the next faster gear quicker.

#2 What is track times? Dunno? Going for first time next week. Do a search here.

#3 Do they help on street driving? What do you call help? Will they help you get out quicker from a dig? Yes. Will it make it easier for you to chirp 3rd gear? Yes. Will you have to get out of gear quicker to shift up? Yes. Will you be driving around town in 3rd and 4th instead of 2nd and 3rd? Yes.

#4 How do they pull in different gears? 1st gear is a blurr, out of it quickly. Overall pulls hard. #1 Fave gear is 4th!!!!!! (prior was 3rd) When in 4th gear and high up in RPM I feel un stopable. Car begs you to push it and it will pull and pull like no other. 5th gear is much more usable than 3.55 you notice a bid difference with pull, etc but again 4th is the killer gear for me. FYI- 5th gear 70mph 2400ish RPM 80 mph 2900ish RPM's. Drive your car now and see what your at then push your car up to the matching Rpm's I just posted to compare.

#5 Should you buy them?? Kinda like asking should you take the spoiler off your car. Some say yes, some no.

#6 Do they add torque? Feels like it but have done no test to confirm. Do a search here.

I always try to answer honestly with real world info, not with what I read or heard.

You can always take them back out if you dont like them. I like mine! If you were here I would let you drive my car to compare. Find a MF buddy in your town. There has got to be one. Where everywhere!

Good luck

Old 10-07-2006, 12:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Flewbyu has a good post!

Gear swaps change the torque at the tires. How much of a change depends on the gear ratio, but the math is very easy.

Here's the equation:

(New gears - Old Gears) / Old Gears = percent change in torque (and RPM)

For example, For 05-06 the stock gears are 3.55, and you're asking about 4.10:
4.10 - 3.55 is 0.55. Divide that by 3.55 = .1549. That means that by switching to 4.10 gears you are raising your operating RPM for any given speed by 15.5 percent. You are also getting 15.5% more torque to the tires.

You can also think of it like speeds on a bicycle or even in your transmission. In a low gear it's easier to accelerate, but you have to pedal (or spin the engine) faster to travel at any given speed.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM
BLackie
2nd Gear Member

no torque dynos?/ whould you have a faster 0-60 time? you would have to right
Old 10-07-2006, 01:34 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLackie

no torque dynos?/ whould you have a faster 0-60 time? you would have to right

Yes it will give you a quicker 0-60 time. Granted that you don't spin tires at launch, then yes, the gears will push you to redline faster, meaning you will get up to speed faster.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:53 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

i cant wait to get mine on... hehe they are under my bed from few months now.. and was not really sure.. was gonna install them yesterday but got busy .. i guess next weekend is the time..
Old 10-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

adding the 4.10 gear will snap your neck on take off-but don't plan on doing any high speed racing on the interstate b/c your gonna lose a good bit on top end.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:06 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

believe it or not your car will actually hook up a little better with them as well. It's easier for the car to get rolling so the tires arent in as much a hurry to break loose. Imagine your 10 speed bike when you were a kid. It's the difference between starting in first gear and starting in fourth or fifth - same horsepower (YOU lol), but applied better. For seat of the pants feel they are the most noticeable improvement besides a power adder.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! IM SLOW