Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
1st Mustang

Default HELP! TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS???

I just put a set of 18" wheels/tires on my '07 gt vert...... my dealer told me when i bought the car that there were no tire pressure sensors on the car.... (i had read on the forum that there were sensors, and i was checking with him to make sure--shoulda listened to you guys!) so, we put on the new shoes, and about 50 miles later, the message pops up in the DIC window---TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT. I can shut off the warning by hitting the reset button, but i don't want to have to do that every hour or so of driving... My service writer at the dealership tells me that they cannot 'deactivate' the system, as it is a government mandated deal... (big brother once again...) SO------how in the heck do i shut this thing off???? The service guy thought there was something like the aftermarket skip shift eliminator for the GM 6-speed trans.... HOpe somebody can help! Thanks.......

kevin
Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS???

I did the same thing. I have not found a solution for it, but it seems like after 3000 miles the warning does not show up as often as it used to, so its almost bearable now.
-howy
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Have the sensors taken out of the stock wheels and put in your new ones. It shouldn't be a big deal since they are the same diameter. That is what I am working on doing, but since I have 20's I have to wait until someone starts making bands that will fit them.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Mustang

I wish I could.... stockers already gone (sold) before the system error code flashed up on the screen... Plus, I read somewhere that the extensions needed in order to use the pressure sensors in 18" wheels were something like $80 each?? So, I am probably SOL in any case.... guess I will be doing some consistent button pushing!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I dont think they are required until next year but Ford decided to jump the gun. The gov. mandate only applies to factory wheels and tires if you change out those you are free to disconnect the tire pressure monitor. There has to be a way. I don't think your dealer wanted to be bothered with it.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

My dealer tried to turn it off, and couldn't. The thing will go off every time you start it. After 3 months and 6,000 miles, it has become second nature to turn the key, hit the button, and take off. The longer bands, to take care of the problem, should arrive in November.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
1FordFan

The dealer can order new bands to mount the tire pressure sensors. The bands come in sizes (up to 22" I think) then you will be able to mount the sensors to aftermarket wheels.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Ford has released the part numbers, however the bands will not be released until November 15th (according to the dealer).
Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I don't have this problem, and the dealership put the Roush wheels/tires on mine. Gotta be a way.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyHorse0217

I don't have this problem, and the dealership put the Roush wheels/tires on mine. Gotta be a way.
It's because you have an '06, this is a new feature for '07.

Quick Reply: HELP! TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS???