Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The highest HP TS 3V in the country...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default The highest HP TS 3V in the country...

I'm happy to report that my good friend Adam at ST Motorsports just finished his article for 5.0 this morning and you will soon here about this in most of the rags.

The car was dynoed at 22 psi with 25º of timing with Sonoco 116. He was testing it with 103 but decided to put in the sonocoa 116 just to be on the safe side. When I left, 5.0 was there taking pics and getting the datalogs for the article.

There is no denying it is the highest HP TS 3V in the country right now.

The reason the car went lean at 5800 rpm's is because the car only as a single walbro pump and a BAP - that's it!! It was starving out. A simple mayter of twin GT supercar pumps or the GT500 pumps and it will go even farther. The amazing thing is now you can have a 700+RWHP car for less than $50K (including the price of the car!)

The KB and engine rebuild through adam will run you around 14-15K total including tuning and instalation.

As I said in another post, I saw the H/O kit right next to a standard 2.6 kit and the difference was intensive on the inside. The only downside is the H/O kit can only operate with a minimum of 15 psi. A 3" pulley is as big as you can go. Anything less than 15 psi and the car will run like crap so it is definitely not for a stock shortblock.

I like my new turbo, but this is pretty damn impressive...:blink:

Whipple and saleen are nowhere in this ballpark with their kits and equal mods.

This is the brand new KB H/O kit and the car has the following mods...

Adam has been working with Jim and Ken over at KB ,running alot of tests over the past few weeks and this kit will not disappoint! Jim has built one HELLUVA BLOWER!!!! Heres the stats on the car:

704 hp 741tq Tuned with Diablo CMR w/MaFia

Basically its a stock GT with a forged short block...mods as follows
NEW KB 2.6 H/O kit
cobra forged short block with stock compression
Accufab t-body (60mm) ...new one being built for future testing
custom 112mm mass air meter
60lb injectors
255 walbro blower specific
clutch master stage 4 clutch
THATS IT.
The heads are stock 3 v heads,stock cams,stock exhaust manifolds,full exhaust to rear bumper,etc...

Enjoy...more to come soon

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/89E81C44216F4449B4A9286890DC2887.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/F01771CDC1E641D685E6D6D79F6D3DCD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/0507FCE7618D46ED9C3A404F00140C84.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
01RobGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The highest HP TS 3V in the country...

heads are stock down to the valve springs and retainers? That is extremely impressive considersing.

My new project. lol
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

^^^ yep. (complete stock heads)

Yeah, it's getting a lot of attention right now. If it had some fuel upgrades it would be even more. Either way, adam and Jim @ KB have done a great job with this kit.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a pretty awesome deal. And the blower is still a 2.6? I heard some rumor of a KB 3.xx. Are they going to be taking this project further? Like doing heads, polishing, etc?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

very nice. Wish there was a vid of the dyno
Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

so the blcok wasn't stock right and bottom end..??

impressive numbers... how many HP stock engine holds? (stock block./bottom end)
Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

What happened?

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

For those of you with s/c or dreams of having one and ideas for a rebuild to make mad power, I thought I would share a little secret with you...

The Whipple, KB, Vortech, Paxton, Steeda, & Roush will not work over 600 hp. Wow, bet you're surpised...lol The problem is not the blower it is the tensioner on the S197's and the actual mechanics of the S197 compared to the older cobras. You cannot use a riechard tensioner or any manual tensioner for that matter cause it needs to be spring loaded. No matter what you do, you won't keep a belt/tensioner on the car over 600 rwhp. This is already becoming a major probelm for a lot of big shops and everyone is finding out it just can't be done.

Seems 600 rwhp is the key number. Everything up till that seems to be working great but once you're over that, by-by tensioner. The procharger seems to be the only exception to the rule simply because it operates on its' own belt.

Just thought you might want to know when you consider your FI choice. I just sold my vortech and am installing a powerhouse turbo on wednesday for this very reason. Again, this doesn't apply to the standard joes wanting some street power, but if you are considering going for big power with a rebuild, I thought you might want to know.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

Sounds like a pretty awesome deal. And the blower is still a 2.6? I heard some rumor of a KB 3.xx. Are they going to be taking this project further? Like doing heads, polishing, etc?
For now the car is staying as-is for the rags and FFW next weekend. After the articles they have plans to take it farther. The 3.xx is a myth and won't be out for the S197. This Blower is technically a 2.68. It looks identical from the outside but it's the inside that counts...

The new blower made average of 35 more hp over standard 2.6l blower at same boost levels,with and average of 40-50 degress less intake air charge temps. The air fuel isnt shown on the chart posted...the air fuel was a solid 11.5 til 5500 rpm and the fuel system started to give up. We are working on the fuel system right now,and expect to see 740-750 hp with same boost levels. Hands down this blower package is TOP NOTCH and there is no compromise in quality between the 2.6l standard and 2.6l H/O kits. The 2.6l standard kit made 617 hp @19.5 psi peak, where as the 2.6 H/O made 658 hp at 19.5 psi.

Both are great blowers, the 2.6 H/O should be run at 15lb plus preferrably with forged internals,where as the 2.6l standard kit will run well at 8lbs -14lbs boost levels for the people wanting more power without upgrading the engine.The 2.6l standard is 600hp street blower where as the 2.6l H/O is a competition blower for 15+lbs of boost and capable of 750+hp.
The main difference between the 2.6l and 2.6 H/O are the discharge ports in the case. The discharge port on the 2.6 H/O is smaller resulting in more internal compression in the case and less parasytic loss at the higher boost levels.The internal compression ratio in the 2.6l standard is 1.4 internal comp.ratio, where the 2.6 H/O is 2.0 internal comp.ratio. Because of the internal compression differences the 2.6l standard kit will run 8lb boost levels efficiently for street cars.The 2.6 H/O is more for competition and needs to be run at 15lbs boost because of the compression ratio. Upgrades to the engine for this amount of boost should be considered to maintain reliability as well as better fuels for protection from detonation.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

What happened?

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

For those of you with s/c or dreams of having one and ideas for a rebuild to make mad power, I thought I would share a little secret with you...

The Whipple, KB, Vortech, Paxton, Steeda, & Roush will not work over 600 hp. Wow, bet you're surpised...lol The problem is not the blower it is the tensioner on the S197's and the actual mechanics of the S197 compared to the older cobras. You cannot use a riechard tensioner or any manual tensioner for that matter cause it needs to be spring loaded. No matter what you do, you won't keep a belt/tensioner on the car over 600 rwhp. This is already becoming a major probelm for a lot of big shops and everyone is finding out it just can't be done.

Seems 600 rwhp is the key number. Everything up till that seems to be working great but once you're over that, by-by tensioner. The procharger seems to be the only exception to the rule simply because it operates on its' own belt.

Just thought you might want to know when you consider your FI choice. I just sold my vortech and am installing a powerhouse turbo on wednesday for this very reason. Again, this doesn't apply to the standard joes wanting some street power, but if you are considering going for big power with a rebuild, I thought you might want to know.

What happened was after we exhausted everything, we discovered the s/c unit was not to blame. The blame was my 4 speed AOD. My vortech worked fine on the stock manual trans and only encountered the tensioner/belt nightmares after the AOD. The reason is because the torque multiplication seen from the AOD and the tensioner/serpentine belt systems just can't handle it. I personally think this car will have the same problems when it goes to an auto trans. It is going to have an auto trans next week so then we'll know for sure. Perhaps the KB is better engineered to handle the low end torque multiplcation better than the vortech but I personally don't think so. We will know either way next week.

It is the reason a turbo is on my car now.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: doodad

so the blcok wasn't stock right and bottom end..??

impressive numbers... how many HP stock engine holds? (stock block./bottom end)
It was a built bottom end on a cobra block. The stock block would have been fine though. The cobra block was used because it was provided by KB.

As I said earlier, since you have to run a minimum of 15 psi, this H/O kit would not be for a stock motor.