Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Default New Exhaust?

Hey guys, how difficult is it to install a new exhaust setup? I've never done such a thing before, and would like to know what's involved before I start contemplating said mod. (resource links welcome)
Old 11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Exhaust?

Assuming you're talking about Axlebacks?...then it's very easy. Any slightest bit of mechanical knowledge will get it done in under an hour.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

well most exhaust systems for 05-07 GT's are bolt on. So you actually can do it yourself. or you could pay 40 bucks to have an exhaust shop to do it for you. Do alot of research before you buy. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

I am pretty sure my girlfriend could do it without assist. It has been a while, but I believe there are four bolts (attaching the hangers to the car) on each muffler and then the exhaust clamp. Two of the bolts are difficult to find. They are vertical, directly above the muffler. Ratcheting wrenches will be your best friend.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Any flash required?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Better question...What's the benifits of adding a new exhaust? I'm not so concerned about the sound, so much as performance. If the bulk of the benifit is more growl, I'll probably still put it on my list of stuff to do, but near the bottom.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

No flash required. I did not notice power gains. If you are just looking for power, this is not the way to go, but they sound really good.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I dunno. It sounds like a nice easy mod, not to expensive, that would be sweet to have. I just have to watch the sound. Not to sound all wussy or anything, but I try not to make too much noise at my place. Noise on the highway is fine, but I'm not a "wake the neighbors" kinda guy. There's a guy in my apartment complex who has this truck with a huge pipe on it, and every morning and night he rattles the place, and people are pissed about it. Not only is it annoying at night when you're trying to chill, but getting woken up in the morning is enough to wonder why no one's shot at this guy yet! [&:] I've got half a mind to stuff a potato in his pipe. [>:]

So anyway, if there was an exhaust that gave me a nice (nicER) sound on the highway, but didn't throttle the neighbors out of bed, I'd be game in an instant.

Lame or not, that's my take...
Old 11-07-2006, 04:27 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow

I dunno. It sounds like a nice easy mod, not to expensive, that would be sweet to have. I just have to watch the sound. Not to sound all wussy or anything, but I try not to make too much noise at my place. Noise on the highway is fine, but I'm not a "wake the neighbors" kinda guy. There's a guy in my apartment complex who has this truck with a huge pipe on it, and every morning and night he rattles the place, and people are pissed about it. Not only is it annoying at night when you're trying to chill, but getting woken up in the morning is enough to wonder why no one's shot at this guy yet! [&:] I've got half a mind to stuff a potato in his pipe. [>:]

So anyway, if there was an exhaust that gave me a nice (nicER) sound on the highway, but didn't throttle the neighbors out of bed, I'd be game in an instant.

Lame or not, that's my take...

I LOVE the way Corsa exhaust system sounds... here is a link to stang that has one on the track, it sounds great when its wide open but reserve when you are doing normal driving.

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/index.c...oid=1160108489
Old 11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

I have the Corsa Axle-Back, and X pipe. I love it because it's not obnoxious at all, but it has a presence when you get into it.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust?