Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

has anyone heard turbocharged and supercharged engine? looks like possible but i am no expert
Old 11-15-2006, 01:25 PM
bonedaddyjr06
1st Gear Member

i saw a twin-charged (Super and Turbo) Miata once.....It hauled ***
Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Rypper1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

ORIGINAL: GGIII

ORIGINAL: doodad

with turbo you can make HUGE power, with S/C you can make less power but safe on your engine.. now this should make you decide..

That is incorrect, at best.
it is not, i personally do not have any power adder but from what i heard from people who had power adders, turbo makes more better power but not as relaible as supercharger. sure you can make some serious power with S/C too but that requires some high psi. turbo at 10 psi > S/C at 10 psi.

If superchargers were more reliable why do more cars come from the factory with a turbo?

I think it comes down to personal prefference now. I have been trying to decide between the whipple and hellion myself. Good luck in chosing.
Randy
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Wow I guess we need to take the Procharger off the 900hp driven Cobra and put a 76mm turbo on huh, sorry man you are way off, when you consider the true answer is BOTH can be safe and BOTH can make huge power. I know guys putting 700hp down on roots style blowers, my friend Mike has a Cobra puttin over 900 to the ground on a Procharger , and I have seen several turbo kits on many cars put down just as well.

Fact is technology is to a point where on street applications turbo lag is non existent and turbos have the very similar power and torque curves to superchargers. Now personally I am putting a Roush blower on my car, mainly because I like the fact that they will warranty my entire power train for 3yr/36000 mi and I know with a bit of work I can have that put out more than 400 to the ground (more than enough for a daily).

The huge debate is around reliably which is just a B.S. argument for anyone to make. Cars come factory with both, cars run very well with both and BOTH are very reliable when installed and tuned properly, then driven and taken care of properly.

As far as which one you want to choose well its really up to you and your bank account.

Here are the tings to consider, the Whipple will make more power on the car from the set kit and its pre-boxed tune than the base Hellion will however it will cost you on average about $750 more, the other option is that you can get the upgraded turbo with the Hellion puts you to the cost of the Whipple and about the same power.

One thing most turbo advocates will point out is with a turbo you have a nice advantage of being able to adjust the power from inside the car while driving but that is only really a big deal if you want to go huge numbers and street the car a bit easier but if you are staying under 500whp I would say it is not that necessary.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-17-2006, 06:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

Here are the tings to consider, the Whipple will make more power on the car from the set kit and its pre-boxed tune than the base Hellion will however it will cost you on average about $750 more, the other option is that you can get the upgraded turbo with the Hellion puts you to the cost of the Whipple and about the same power.

Just my $0.02
Well the kit from brenspeed comes with everything you need to make 500whp for $5899. What does the whipple make?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

Just my $0.02
Well the kit from brenspeed comes with everything you need to make 500whp for $5899. What does the whipple make?
I don't know what brendspeed sells but I know when I called Hellion (about 3 months ago) I was told their base kit which was about $4900 it was only a 420whp kit but they have upgrade options on the turbo, The base Whipple kit I have seen is about $5500 and puts 475whp so cost per cost as I said can end up the same, but "out of the box" the whipple has more.

So to answer that either can do 500whp for $5900...