Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?

I did a few searches and couldn't find any information. I've had my SCT tuner for a while now and really like the firm shifts at wide open throttle. I was wondering, has anyone played around with the WOT shift points?

Is it correct to assume that the automatic is looking to maximize fuel economy even at WOT? Will I see better performance by programming my own shift points or is it best to leave it up to the computer?

I wasn't sure where to start. I was hoping that a few, more experienced, members could post their favorite shift schedule. From experience, I know the automatic shifts into 5th too soon, maybe around 45 mph, but I have no idea what would be optimal for this shift point, let alone any of the others.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?

As you said the auto shift points are adjustable at WOT only so that "5th gear at 45mph" is not valid. I do know that it is unnecessary and of no power value for your auto to shift anywhere above 6100prm. You need to look at your tach and not your speedo when you want to adjust the "shift point". I've found the tunes from Brenspeed have the shift points pretty dead on, but it's all personal preference.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I have Brents 93 tune and its set @ 6800 by default. Ive played with the WOT shift points quite a bit. Anything sooner than 6800rpms, I feel my car shifts too early.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Useing my X-cal I have changed EVERYTHING about the way my auto performs. Shift schedules, line presures, lock-up schedules, everything has been modified. I was not impressed with it at all stock. It shifted sluggishly and at less than ideal RPM's, and the kickdown was just plain bad. It never seemed to be in the right gear for any given situation. I have modified my upshift schedule so that below 35mph it still shifts at the stock setpoints so my around town is very mild. But I have increased RPM for every shift from 35mph on up to WOT getting more and more aggressive the more pedal I give it. I am shifting at 6300RPM WOT. One thing that can't be controlled in the auto is the amount of fallback between shifts. Increasing line presure speeds up the shift so there is less fallback, but there is no way to set a fallback limit. I have it shifting at 6300RPM so that the fallback is right on top of my peak torque when it is time to pull the next gear. I have also done a LOT of work on the downshift schedules. I HATED the double downshift when I would punch it from around 60mph. Now when I let off the gas the car comes down through the gears like I'm downshifting a standard, this makes driving the twisties so much nicer because I don't have to use the brake nearly as much and am allways set up in the right gear to accelerate out of a turn. I set my line presures in each gear based on tire traction. I am still on the stock P-zero's so I am a little softer on the shift than I would like to be, but I have gone as high as I can and keep the tires from chirping when it shifts. A loose tire = slower times. One day I'll have the KDW's and firm it up more. By the way, if i firm up the shifts the car will break loose going 1-2 and scratch 3rd
Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. It's a little more complicated for me. I have an SCT Strategy Flash, so I can only set my shift points by mph. Sorry for not being specific, I can decrease or increase the wide open throttle shift points -3 to +7 mph. Otherwise, yes, I'd certainly be looking at the tachometer.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

you guys should've gotten a manual if you care that much about shift points, etc...that way you can shift whenever the **** you feel like it.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Point taken, thanks for the words of wisdom John.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:50 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Why are you looking at a post that talks about automatics if you have a 5 spd ..... looks like somebody is wasting their time and just trying to **** people off .
Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

Why are you looking at a post that talks about automatics if you have a 5 spd ..... looks like somebody is wasting their time and just trying to **** people off .
i'm not wasting my time; i enjoy reading all posts about the 05-07 stangs.

seriously, though, the poster sounded to me like he wanted total control of his shifts, and it boggles my mind why someone that into shift points etc. would buy an automatic? i mean the reason i bought a manual was so i can shift for great gas mileage or so i can shift for max power, or simply inbetween if i want. i don't mean to put down the auto's, as they are great cars and no less of a stang, but i think the poster should've gotten a manual trans.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Point taken, thanks for the words of wisdom John.
again, i apologize, no animosity from me towards the autos. still a stang, and a damn good one.

i just really believe the poster should've gotten a manual if he's that into shift points...i mean that's the whole point of a manual, to shift when you want and have greater control, right??

Quick Reply: WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?