Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Help installing lowering springs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 AM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Default Help installing lowering springs!!!

Ok just got in the eibach pro lowering springs... project FAILURE. darn spring compressors we bought at autozone for 35 bux wouldnt compress the springs all the way.... there werent enough room to get each compressors on opposite ends... can annyone help me with the right tools they used to get em in?? What spring compressors did yall use? and also is there a step on step installation guide or a link anyone has to install these eibachs?? Any input greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help installing lowering springs!!!

I know blackfoot made a great writeup on installing eibach pro springs, I'll try and find it.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:32 PM
shiffty

i used one made by MAC and had not a prob... I did all 4 in about an hour and a half. I do have the sport line.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

how much were they?
im on a budget :-(
Old 12-22-2006, 02:23 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I rented compressors from Autozone. I didn't have a problem with them. Can you explain in a little more detail the problem you're having? BTW, you don't have to get the hooks all the way to the ends of the springs, if that's what you mean. Just hook them as far apart as you can and start compressing. And you don't have to squeeze them all the way down either. Just enough to get them out and to take the pressure off the bearing. [/align][/align]Hope that helps! Good luck![/align]
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GiMiX

Ok just got in the eibach pro lowering springs... project FAILURE. darn spring compressors we bought at autozone for 35 bux wouldnt compress the springs all the way.... there werent enough room to get each compressors on opposite ends... can annyone help me with the right tools they used to get em in?? What spring compressors did yall use? and also is there a step on step installation guide or a link anyone has to install these eibachs?? Any input greatly appreciated!!

Hi GiMix,

I boughta set from Sears for about $30 some time ago, they worked great for me and many other local Mustang car club guys I've done suspension for. You just have to adjust the hooking clamp partsto getas close as possible tothe ends of the springs and position the compressors opposite each other to get maximum compression with as little cranking of the bolts as possible. I haveair in my garage so this is not a big deal but when cranking by hand it saves time and effort ifyou don't have to release them and reposition the compressors. All you really have to do is to release the pressure on the spring perch, that is far enough. How are you going to get the strut bearing off if you don't have compressed air and a good air gun? Good luck!

HTH

Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I had no problems getting the bearing off with no air or gun, just a ratchet and socket set.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

I had no problems getting the bearing off with no air or gun, just a ratchet and socket set.

Hi GT Premi,

Actually, I never looked at the top of the O.E. strut rod, is there a hex head in the end of the rod or flats on the end of the strut rod? I'm spoiled!

Cheers

Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

If I recall, it's just a standard sized bolt holding it in.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here is a picture of the compressors I used:

http://imageserver.isnweb.com/KTI70370.jpg

...mine came from Snap-On. Beware the cheap version of this tool, the threaded rods are notorious for flexing.

Quick Reply: Help installing lowering springs!!!