Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
89 5.0 Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock Throttle body

Hey guys my dad has a 05 GT and he is deciding to do a C&L Cold air kit on it. On my 89 i baught a bigger throttle body, but real quickly we just wanted to see if any of you guys know the stock dimentions of the throttle body. Were looking at either a twin 62 or 65mm.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 AM
89 5.0 Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Throttle body

Any one

Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I'm not positive but I think they are 57mm. I just remember in the MM&FF video I think Jim from JDM Engineering said the 62mm was 5mm larger. -Joe
Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The best throttle body is the already on the car. There have not been any increases by getting a bigger one. I would not waste money on a new one. 55 is stock btw.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

I'm not positive but I think they are 57mm. I just remember in the MM&FF video I think Jim from JDM Engineering said the 62mm was 5mm larger. -Joe
+1.. I watched it also..Team JDM is awesome BTW, they do most of my work
Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM
impaler
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006GTSC

ORIGINAL: jbailer

+1.. I watched it also..Team JDM is awesome BTW, they do most of my work
Okay, I'm hearing this a bunch now. I was seriously considering a TB to .62 (from .55) for my next mod. Why would it not make a diff? In theory, if it's a wider intake, upon opening that thing up, you're letting more air in...and therefore pushing more air into the cylinders...at least in theory. But I'm sure there's something to what you're saying, as enough folks have mentioned it, including my local Mustang club. Also, what benefit would there be to replacing the stock mass air sensor? I have the stock one that I reinstalled in my K&N CAI. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Increasing the throttle body diameter could give you horsepower if the current size is too small. However, the stock throttle body on these cars is not too small, unless you already have a bunch of other mods and are pushing 350 RWHP or more.

Remember, the engine is what sucks air through the throttle body. The throttle body doesn't push air into the engine. As long as the throttle body is large enough that it doesn't cause a significant pressure drop when the air is coming through it, then there is no benefit to enlarging it....and the stock TB flows more than enough air.

Do a search on the forum regarding the throttle body. A lot of guys have tried them and found no extra HP and a whole bunch of driveability problems. Several guys were offering to give theirs away. I wouldnt' buy one at all.

A throttle body might have been a good upgrade for other cars....but it is definatley not a good upgrade for 05-07 mustangs.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: howarmat

The best throttle body is the already on the car. There have not been any increases by getting a bigger one. I would not waste money on a new one. 55 is stock btw.
For a stock/mostly stock engine, yes you are right. If you go full bolt ons, cams/heads, etc. The bigger TB adds 8+ RWHP throught the whole power band. Look at brenspeeds Stage 3 Cam test.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM
impaler
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. And as for the mass air sensor question I asked? Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: impaler

Thanks for the info. And as for the mass air sensor question I asked? Thoughts?
You do *NOT* need a new MAF. The one you have is fine and can be reprogramed to whatever specs you need.

Quick Reply: Stock Throttle body