Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Drone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Exhaust Drone ?

C O R S A!!!!!
NO DRONE.... SOUND GREAT @ 1/2 TO WOT... very quite when cruising.... got mine for 560 from Autoparts Warehouse..... no shipping... great looking tips.... the chamber is visable below the bumper... but I think they sound terrific at idle...not loud...but great sound to them....

just my .02.....
Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Okay, thanks guys. . . .I think I'm going to be looking for these Corsas to go on sale somewhere hopefully. Or find a used set. I appreciate all the advice!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
myskunk
1st Gear Member

put on a set of pypes violators about 2 weeks ago , sound gets better each time its driven - no drone .
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM
CAL

Fellow Stangers,
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Great discussion as I have an '07 CS/GT and in the process of putting axle-backs on. Man, I was surprised to hear someone say SLP Loudmouths and no drone? Your kidding right. There is some serious drone on the SLPs (that is the price as they are some of the sweetest sounding axle-back out there.)

After quite a bit of research, sound clips and actually standing next to some vehicles at Dallas Mustang, I've settled on the good ole FRPP M-5230 GTAs. (OEM on shelby GT and GT-H). A little louder than stock, no drone and around $280. Been a tough decision as its my first mod - after working on my wife for about 3 months now- good god!

There is also a M-5230-5GT (straight-through design) that is supposed to be "much louder" and very sweet sounding! Some folks may prefer these. (They're also $500!) I guess axle-backs are a personal decision as to what you like.

Anyway, I'm rambling on, so ...it's great to be part of this forum and the mustang community. Happy Hunting out there.
[8D]

A
Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

on my frequently visited forum there was a guy that had the mac axleback installed and he hated the drone so he covered the top of the muffler with soundproofing stuff and he said that it worked phenominal
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Is there less drone with a manual??
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
devvill

I have Borla axlebacks that drone alot between 1800-2000 rpm. Can anyone recommend a fix?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

For the stingers or pretty much and axle back, the drone will be there. To reduce it, make sure you have no leaks. This wont get rid of it but does contribute alot. Resonators are another way of lessening the drone. Changing to a different gear size also with shift the RPM so you are not in that range as long. The only "fix" is to buy the Corsa or something that doesnt have any to begin with. I dont think the stingers have that bad a drone. With the windows down I would say you hear the actual exhaust over any drone. It sounds awesome too.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

I found the SLP LM's for a very good price. How much drone is with these? I know they were on the top 4 list above.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:13 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

have Borla axlebacks that drone alot between 1800-2000 rpm. Can anyone recommend a fix?
Right way = weld in some resonators.
Cheap way = Go to a welding supply store and buy "welding blankets" Wrap them around the muffs and then tie them on tightly with stainles steel wire (Home Depot). It's ghetto, but works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone ?