Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Official S197 exhaust sound thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The Official S197 exhaust sound thread

I've heard the JBA A/B's in person and they seem to sound much worse in person than they do on the vids. It's usually the opposite, hmmm.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

So what exhaust should I buy???

Just kidding. Great post! Sticky this one!!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Quick question. You stated in the original thread "Magnaflow:
Magnaflow is a system that’s been around for a long time. They have 2 basic systems for the s197: their regular magnaflow system, and the “magnapacks†which are cannister shaped and slightly more aggressive. The regular axle backs are very quiet, and slightly deeper than stock. The magna packs are slightly more aggressive. They are a bullet style muffler. The sound is not too aggressive, very under control, but deep. I would not recommend an H pipe with this setup. An offroad x pipe or a catted x pipe would work best"

So here is my question. Why the x-pipe vs. the H- pipe? What makes it work best with the magnaflows? I have the side exhaust with and h-pipe and the magnapacks and stock shorty headers. I love the sound of the exhaust and I know it is different with the x-pipe but I cant get a video with sound posted so you will just have to take my word for it. I have always been an h-pipe fan and will maintain the H-pipe as long as I can. Just curious....... J

well to be honest, any midpipe (without cats i reccomend) will sound very good with magnapacks. however, i feel that since they are a bullet design, an x pipe will naturally suit the sound characteristics better.

an h pipe with bullet muffler will sound fantastic at all RPMs. i just feel that in the higher RPMs (4-6000) under full throttle, it doesn't have the same urgent, screaming, high-rev sound; doesn't have the same tone.

it will, however be the deepest, most controlled type of sound out there. it really comes down to personal preference. so if you like the way it sounds, do not think twice about it because i think differently. don't start to question your liking of it, you know?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

This helped me alot in deciding which brand or combination to choose, thanks alot for the effort!!

Kooks LTs w/X pipe + Borla Stingers ABs
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

BUMP

is this gonna be made a sticky?

am i gonna get my title?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I just got my SLP Powerflos on tonight and they are sweeeeeeet! I have a Pypes O/R H-pipe and I had the Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers on and I hated the sound. Way to much trumpeting at certain RPM's, sounded like a damn machine gun in a garbage can. The Powerflo's have a little trumpeting at about 2500rpms but it is alot more mellow than the Flowmasters. The SLP's have an awsome tone all the way thru the rpm's and when you go WOT it's insane! I love it because it is a very controlable(sp?) sounding exhaust. I will be sticking with this setup for a long time I think.
I will try to get some sound clips in the next couple days if I can get my buddy to record for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hey thanks for the honest answer and the controlled deep sound (old school to me) is exactly what I wanted. Maybe I will feel different in the future after F/I and LT's J
ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Quick question. You stated in the original thread "Magnaflow:
Magnaflow is a system that’s been around for a long time. They have 2 basic systems for the s197: their regular magnaflow system, and the “magnapacks†which are cannister shaped and slightly more aggressive. The regular axle backs are very quiet, and slightly deeper than stock. The magna packs are slightly more aggressive. They are a bullet style muffler. The sound is not too aggressive, very under control, but deep. I would not recommend an H pipe with this setup. An offroad x pipe or a catted x pipe would work best"

So here is my question. Why the x-pipe vs. the H- pipe? What makes it work best with the magnaflows? I have the side exhaust with and h-pipe and the magnapacks and stock shorty headers. I love the sound of the exhaust and I know it is different with the x-pipe but I cant get a video with sound posted so you will just have to take my word for it. I have always been an h-pipe fan and will maintain the H-pipe as long as I can. Just curious....... J

well to be honest, any midpipe (without cats i reccomend) will sound very good with magnapacks. however, i feel that since they are a bullet design, an x pipe will naturally suit the sound characteristics better.

an h pipe with bullet muffler will sound fantastic at all RPMs. i just feel that in the higher RPMs (4-6000) under full throttle, it doesn't have the same urgent, screaming, high-rev sound; doesn't have the same tone.

it will, however be the deepest, most controlled type of sound out there. it really comes down to personal preference. so if you like the way it sounds, do not think twice about it because i think differently. don't start to question your liking of it, you know?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Great Job Bro!Oh yeah,thanks for posting my miss shift.[:@]LOL!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:28 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norse1974

Great Job Bro!Oh yeah,thanks for posting my miss shift.[:@]LOL!

haha it really is a good clip other than that lol but everyone misses a shift now and then. your other 125 shot vid with you ripping through the gears makes up for it lol.

Hey thanks for the honest answer and the controlled deep sound (old school to me) is exactly what I wanted. Maybe I will feel different in the future after F/I and LT's J

no problem man! i always thought that a little less refined sound like macs were more old school lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Hey jason, either jason i guess.....i have not seen this added anywhere in the tech section or a sticky yet....any word on if that is a possibility or not yet?

Quick Reply: The Official S197 exhaust sound thread