Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

best supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: best supercharger???

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

lb for lb they'll all give you about the same peak power, just at different points in the rpm range. Base on your last question, I suggest you do some research on the different styles, narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 and them come back and ask for more specific opinions.
There is a ton of great info out there already that will go into great detail on every setup out there....you can narrow it down to what best fits you and then make a better decision......getting answers to this thread alone wont give you enough good info really.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Actually the whipple can give very high numbers on HP/TQ. please do a search on the forum or on the web!
ORIGINAL: justin96gt

i really like the whipple but the hp on it seems low compared to others ?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

There's no such thing. I choose the whipple HO kit for a few reasons.

1. Ease of installation. After reading instructions for the saleen, paxton, vortech and whipple, the whipple was the easiest with the least amount of engine modification IMHO. The vortech/paxton require you to modify the stock coolant crossover tube, while the whipple comes with a new crossover tube. The vortech/paxton require you to tap the oil pan. The saleen turns the alternator around backwards!

2. The sound. Out of all the superchargers, the whipple sounded the coolest at WOT to me. Read the saleen at idle post and that killed it for me.

3. The look. This is kinda silly, but I like the looks of the whipple cold air intake over the saleen or centris.

4. Price. While the whipple HO kit is the most expensive, you do get a lot for that price like dual GT500 fuel pumps and fpdm. I also figured in the cost of labor, my own because i'm doing it myself.

5. Maintenance. The whipple claims no maintenance for 100,000 miles. Now I don't plan to let it go that long without changing the oil, but I felt good that they think their product will last that long. Saleen recommend changing the oil at 50,000 miles, still a good feeling.

At first I was considering the centri because it looked easier to install, but that simply isn't the case. Good luck in your decision, i'm glad my decision making is over.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well if you are comparing the non-intercooled kit at 6psi to the saleen at 6psi, then it will look that way. You'd need to add the intercooler and retune the whipple for a fair comparison. I'd compare the HO kit at 10psi to the saleen at 10psi. Which will make more power? I have no idea actually and i'm not to concerned about it, but I am curious now.

ORIGINAL: justin96gt

i really like the whipple but the hp on it seems low compared to others ?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

As far as comparing the KB to the Saleen...both have killer whines to them, which is essential to me...as earlier mentioned the KB can push more than 15 lbs of boost safely as the Saleen cannot. So if you are planning on going past ROUGHLY 600rwhp, dont get the Saleen. If not, I would recommend the Saleen as far as reliability and safety. KB is the more "hardcore" of the two.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

In addition to what moosestang stated. I went Whipple because it peaks at about 5800 rpm while K&Bmakes the same power at 6200 (talking about HO intercooled kits) and when it comes to a SC'd engine, the higher the RPM the better chance to go from blown to blown up.
Whipple actually looks and soundslikea supercharger, this is of course very subjective.
For a street /strip application nothing beats a twin screw (whipple, K&B,Saleen) because the power is available at very low rpm, for all out race it doesnt matter that muchbecause you will be running at high RPM where all of them make good power.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

KB is the more "hardcore" of the two.
I read the Kenne bell gets really hot compared to the whipple, meaning directly after a WOT run you can't put your hand on the KB, but you could on the whipple. Not sure why the KB gets so hot, but I didn't like the sound of it.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

well, well.most of you know my h.p numbers. 452 at 7 to 8 psi. we could of gotton another 15 h.p easily at the same boost level but i was satisfied. as far as rpms go, its not completly the rpms that make these motors go boom. its detonation. my motor turns to 6800 rpms on stock block, for over a year now. not one issue.so i make 452 at a good level at boost, and i average 27 mpg on the interstate and 24 in town, was a litlle better but i put 4.10 in. as for rocks at idle, the truth is a lot of that noise comes from the idle rpm range. its how the blowe sounds, but with the right exaust and the right idle rpm, it sounds good. as for 600 h.p with the saleen blower. i think it can be done, and i plan on doing it in the next year. they say at 14psi, you will douple your stock rwhp. my car made 271 stock so thats 522 at 14psi. now that was at stock timing, rve limited to 6200rpm. so increase to the timins and the rpms range that a built motor was designed to turn, with the right set up, i can definately see 600 to 650. ill get back with you all in the next 6 to 12 months.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

oh yea, i can run the dog crap out of my car, and put my face on my blower when i park.

hey moose, when you get the blower i want to run you for fun. it would be great for people choosing between the to.at least great for saleen
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

KB is the best $ for $ period!
Alot of guys here won't admit that because of pride issues but throughout the rpm band HP gains are better. Now if the get hot get a better intercooler. Yes they are pricey but I've seen them run, and a KB'd car will own others mod for mod. JMO

Quick Reply: best supercharger???