Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

should i keep my saleen s/c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: should i keep my saleen s/c?

Why are you worried about drivability if you went with a 302? If you wanted drivability you should have went with a 298. The 302 loses the knock sensors which in my opinion is a must fora street car. Also the 302 rattles like a BB in a box car. You are going to hate the piston slap. The 298 sounds stock. There are also differences in the way the 302 is going to idle and it's overall general drivability VS the 298. ( again, in my opinion.. ) you bought a race motor, not a daily driver motor.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

ive only had it in a couple weeks but the idle isnt that bad, only from cold start ups is it really different imo. The piston slap isnt too bad right now, but maybe it gets worse as more miles go on it im not sure. Thanks for your input hawgman, if its a race motor then maybe i will look into kb.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

it's only loud when you get on it. Just to give you an example last night on the way to the mall, so some chump pulled up next to me and ask (he may have 19 or 20) "Dude smoke the tires throw the intersection" but when I told him I could not because of the clutch, he asked why did your cluthc where out so fast, and I explained to him that it did not, I just went from 260-265 rwhp to 430rwhp and reved the **** out of the car, and was blow that SOB just about jumped out of his seat. Ithink that guy was more excited about he SC than me!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

My thoughts exactly

ORIGINAL: hammeron

imho, yes put the saleen s/c up for sale, first here on the
forum then ebay if need be. the KB is definately the way
to go....can't wait to see how it all turns out

Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If your forged now and everything is new get the KB or Whipple as they can go up to 25 psi boost. The Saleen is limited to 15psi. If I were forged I would go above 15psi in a NY second! I mean why not the car is now built for it. Maximize the motors potential. Sell the Saleen S/C on here in the FOR SALE section....JMO
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

that was my thinking too mygt500, thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Man I'm glad I don't drive in traffic!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: sactown

Dude why didn't you tell me that in JULY! I just had a Saleen installed last week!
As for keeping it, if you are going to, (not planning to) run more than 15psi then you need to look at something else. But if you plan on the driving the car on the street in traffic, anything more than 15psi is insane! The SC make a ton of heat, I am only running 6.5 psi and in traffic with the windows down I can feel the hot air coming off the motor not stock hot air but very hot air. I am all ready thinking about upgrading the radiator.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Hufenstang, sounds like a beast is going to be born.

Hawgman, where can I find more information about the 298 vs the 302? This is just thedriveability info I'm looking for. I am trying to increase the displacement on my GT (normally aspirated) that I drive everyday in all weather. Thanks.

Sleeper2
Old 08-24-2007, 04:50 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

^^^Sorry about the temporary thread hijack.

Sleeper2
Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

sactown, its an 05 and yeah sorry about that, its a 302 stroker block by jdm. Are the saleen blowers whine loud or only at wot? I think i may just stay with the saleen for driveability issues this is why i asked for your guys opinion haha.
I woulden't have done that. JDM is great for saleen tuning and installation but engine buliding i have heard they either don't do their own work or have the worst horrible service.

Quick Reply: should i keep my saleen s/c?