Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes Mid-Muffler System vs FRPP GTA's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes Mid-Muffler System vs FRPP GTA's

Okay mine are on! Wow what a difference! I bet with the X it's even more growly.....sounds awesome, probably the best 300 bucks I've spent in a while. Only took me 2.5 hrs from start to finish, a little trouble getting everything lined up, still may need to do a bit of adjustment on the passenger side tip, but the fit is excellent and the sound great. Took a test ride, seems a bit more peppy, especially with the Odrive and TCS turned off. Great product, quick shipping, excellent price, and easy to install! Just a note if your doing the install yourself, make sure you have four jackstands at least 16 inches tall you'll need the extra height to get the passenger side pipe off, its a bear, and as mentioned in an earlier post a set of gear wrenches makes it easier, you'll need one in 13mm or you can use a 1/4 drive ratchet, that was my route, worked fine just a bit more hassle.
pics and video at:
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=100_5609.flv
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...1/100_5608.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...1/100_5607.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...1/100_5606.jpg
Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Finally had time to edit my clips, there is only 1 now,includes a start-up,drive by,cruise with windows down & short section w/windows up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANDdIp2GjY

damquick,
you have a auto or manual? I really love the sound between shifts on mine. You getting a little drone also around 2100?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Auto.......No I did not notice any of the unreasonable Dreaded Drone, it may have some,but the excitement of the sound may be deadening it to my ears. These are not exceptionally loud at cruise from inside, at idle they sound mean, but you can definately hear it wake up when you put the pedal to the carpet. Seems like my pony is exhaling ALOT better than the factory set up, I like it, seems like a good buy, install was straight forward and anyone who knows a little could do it with the right tools and if they take their time.
I think Pypes has a winner here!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Both cars sound awesome... thanks guys for the pics and videos.

Quick question.... did any of you go from any other aftermarket exhaust to this system? If so, which one, and what are the advantages and disadvantages in sound?

If you guys or anyone else have any more sound clips at all... please post. I dont want to throw my money away on this system when I already have SLP's
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Aircare84,
I gotta say your car looks awesome, brings back that 69 Mach I theme...awesome simply awesome.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

sounds incredible, and the car looks amazing!

how loud would you say it is over stock?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Verginastang,

I had the SLP LM but when I added the O/R X pipe it was too loud, so if you are keeping the stock H then the SLP are great and aren't worth the change to the pypes stuff.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Verginastang,

I had the SLP LM but when I added the O/R X pipe it was too loud, so if you are keeping the stock H then the SLP are great and aren't worth the change to the pypes stuff.
I plan to eventually do longtubes (probably next spring) and an O/R H along with the mid muffler system really soon. I know that the SLP's are going to be really loud with any combination of mid pipe and/or headers. Stock the SLP's are okay, loud but not as deep sounding as i'd like (thus the O/R H).

How does the mid-muff system sound with the O/R X? Any videos or soundclips? Throaty or Raspy? Sound like the SLP's? Anything close to a 94-04 GT's sound?

thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Verginastang,

I plan to eventually do longtubes (probably next spring) and an O/R H along with the mid muffler system really soon. I know that the SLP's are going to be really loud with any combination of mid pipe and/or headers. Stock the SLP's are okay, loud but not as deep sounding as i'd like (thus the O/R H).

How does the mid-muff system sound with the O/R X? Any videos or soundclips? Throaty or Raspy? Sound like the SLP's? Anything close to a 94-04 GT's sound?

thanks
pypes has clips on their website. under part throttle, it sounds JUST like a 99-04 GT with race style bullet mufflers and an x pipe. but i think the sound is a bit harsh under any throttle conditions.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I went from the FRPP GTA's to the mid-muffler system. The GTA's were a step up in loudness over stock, whlie the Pypes system is about 2 steps up from the GTA's in loudness.
I'm keeping the GTA's for when I put LT's on in a few years.From everything I've read, the Pypes system is quite loud w/LT's

damquick1
Thanks! I've done a 69 Boss style. I'm happy with how it's turned out.

Quick Reply: Pypes Mid-Muffler System vs FRPP GTA's