Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hellion turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Default hellion turbo

Well I did it today. I went order a s/c and ended up ordering a turbo. I really didnt care either way I just want to burn some rubber. I would like to hear from some others who have Hellion system.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hellion turbo

i don't have the hellion, but i can relate

burning rubber, is really all that it's about, good
luck with your project and keep us posted

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

It is supposed to put out 450rwhp safely. I hope that enough to satisfy me.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

I'd say the concept of turbocharging is pretty bad ***. Utilizing exhaust gases from the engine to provide more horsepower is just about the coolest thing ever. **** superchargers with their nancy boy parasitic drag and lack of any lag whatsoever.

Do give us more specifics on the turbo kit you bought and when the time comes, an install journal would be much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

, since i can't just leave it with a laughing
smiley (lost my priveledges) i'll add......i hear
ya brotha

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

I'd say the concept of turbocharging is pretty bad ***. Utilizing exhaust gases from the engine to provide more horsepower is just about the coolest thing ever. **** superchargers with their nancy boy parasitic drag and lack of any lag whatsoever.

Do give us more specifics on the turbo kit you bought and when the time comes, an install journal would be much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I did a lot of research into the Hellion. A couple things became clear to me that steered me away:

1. Turbos seem to require a greater degree of expertise in tuning. I don't know why this is (boost should be boost, right?) but when I was shopping both the install and the tuning - both were higher for the turbo vs. the twin screws.

2. The number of folks popping their bottom ends also seems to be higher. Again... boost should be boost. Does the turbo "hit" harder? Is it more difficult to get the A/F right and keep it there? Turbos easier to turn up excessively at the turn of a dial or change of spring? I dunno.

I decided on the Saleen as it was best for my application. Will I build a forged motor? Sure, someday but hopefully not for a while (and hopefully not because the stocker is laying around my garage in pieces).

BTW - If I had the cash to build the motor *and* add the F/I? I would have done the Hellion
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Im not going to install it myself. Im using a shop that has a dyno and all the correct equipment for the job. I think most of the ones who have had problems tried to do a drive way install. Im not saying that nobody can do it that way,but I cant and do it right. These turbos sound unreal.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I don't have the Hellion but hear it's an outstanding kit. You'll enjoy the turbo. Asfar as difficult to tune??? I don't know...I have my carregularly dynotuned anyway.But for about 3 weeks, before the dyno, I was running off the very conservative tune supplied (email) by my turbo vendor (Powerhouse411) and it worked just fine. I have mine set at a minimum of 11 lbs (11 lb spring, max with controller 20). Even at 11 lb there is risk of doing harm to motor. Motor rebuild is very very soon and car will not be going to track until that's done.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:08 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I'm still debating the Hellion package from Brenspeed vs the Saleen S/C. The turbo has more for less, so-to-speak, with plugs, pumps, and easy boost changes. The ONLY drawback I see with the Hellion is the exhaust routing below the lower control arms. Its for sure not lower then the front air damn of my car, so it probably never would be an issue.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

I called Hellion about that fact and he said they give you a smaller set of pipes in the kit for lowered cars and that they make 15ftlbs of torque on the dyno using them. Your ride looks mighty sharp dude.

Quick Reply: hellion turbo