Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whats up with the tuned engines ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

Default whats up with the tuned engines ticking?

Ive noticed alot of people on these forums who have flash tuners who cars make ticking sounds and seem pretty worried. So Im wondering how many people have actually had this problem and how many people havent? I also noticed alot of the ones who have also are running 91 octane or lower tunes. Do you guys think thats why? I plan to run the 93 tune from brenspeed orderng the cai and sct x cal 2 plan to get my set up in the next few days , just a little worried about my brand spankin new car getting messed up because of this...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whats up with the tuned engines ticking?

I've ran the 87 perf, 91 torque and 91 race...all using 91 octane..not a single tick/ping.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I have anassortment of bolt ons w/ Brents 93 tune and no issues.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

well I have noticed alot of people saying they have some sort of ticking i guess i just worry alot dont want nothing to happen to my baby
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Ive read in the recent past about a few peeps having pinging issues at WOT with a canned tuned. Im not familar with any "ticking" issues.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

That ticking people are hearing is just valve-train clatter. So if the sound of camshafts getting cozy with valve springs scares you, don't open the engine bay while the engine is on.

Now if you're hearing it in excessive amounts and it is not rhythmic, something could very well be wrong. An intake and tune probably won't cause such a thing.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

That ticking people are hearing is just valve-train clatter. So if the sound of camshafts getting cozy with valve springs scares you, don't open the engine bay while the engine is on.

Now if you're hearing it in excessive amounts and it is not rhythmic, something could very well be wrong. An intake and tune probably won't cause such a thing.
+1.....just the valves or injectors IMO
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

No probs here, and its abused at least once daily.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Mine has been ticking off and on since I got it over two years ago. It has been to the dealer 5 times. Cam phaser has been changed 3 times and the Rt head changed once. Itticked N/A and it ticks S/C'ed.

My experience with this problem seems to deal with the fuel. Seems like if I don't fill up at my usual gas station is when it starts ticking. (You only hear the ticking at idle and its loud and unmistakably not the normal light ticking you hear at idle). It also seems to only happen after I get on the throttle. I was told by the mechanic at Ford that the ticking noise is the cam phaser in the Variable Cam Timing system trying to get back to neutral. Seems that it gets stuck sometimes.

Since the cam phaser is ran off of oil pressure, maybe a higher performance oil pump might take care of the problem all together. I'm only guessing at this point. Pretty much gave up on trying to fix it.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 AM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

So the ticking or pinging a few people hear seems to be a normal part of the engine's workings.

Quick Reply: whats up with the tuned engines ticking?