Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple install II

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Default Whipple install II

Got the new Pro-cal tool from Ford Racing delivered to my work today, told my boss (me!) I was taking a little extra time for lunch, told the front desk gals to apologize to my clients if I was a little late coming back from lunch, and put the Jeep Rubicon in 4hi so that I could redline it home! I felt like I was the 14 yr old boy, the stang was the 19 yr old girl and the flash tool was the condom I could never get to fricken work right! Fumbled withthe cablefor a few seconds and my hands were shaking when I plugged in the flash tool connector. Moment of truth...switched the ignition from ACC to ON and the my retinas were greeted by the sweetest upside down and backwards image ever to impinge upon their surfaces: solid yellow LED followed by solid green!

Ahhhhhhh, then the best of all. The audible bark to life when I started the stang was like a massage for my tympanic membrane. I'm so blessed by the gods to have avoided having children thus far but when the car came to life it was like a baby of mine had just been born!

I'm am such a melodramatic sap, I know but I feel like king of the universe right now!

...but back down to reality, why does my Aerometer say that my timing retard at idle is 60!!! Anyone know the units of measure or the convention used to assign a quantum to those numbers?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple install II

Congrats on getting her running, give me a review of how she runs so I can drool and hate you more
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Tell us about the power!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you did well in descriptive writing throughout school[8D]
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

HAHA, I was so nervous from worry that the thing was gonna explode when I started it I left one of those coaxial retrieval tools on the cowling and shut the hood over it! Ok no damage done to the car but I'm now the patron saint of ding-dongs everywhere!

Anyway, went for a grandfatherly drive and kept the throttle jabs to a minimum and not over 3,000 RPM. Drove over to the gas station to fill up with 100 octane unleaded. Exhaust sounds quieter after the installation of the Whipple, but that's prolly just because of no WOT passes down the street. Couldn't keep my eyes off of the Aeroforce meter in the dash pod. It listed knock retard numbers ranging from 60 at idle to 300 at 2800 rpm. Not sure if the rear O2 sensors are responsible, but if those numbers represent degrees of timing that are retarded, that is not good, no?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

why was the LED upside down and
backwards, were you looking at it
through a mirror

hey glad to hear it's running, welcome to the
boost club

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Thanks hammeron! I am sooo psyched! Just need calm the frack down so that I can eventually go to sleep tonite. Anyway, here are some more pics from the completion of the install.

Now that's some "V"!!!

I love how the patina of rust on the crank pulley is out of place with everything else in most flash pics of the engine bay.

Pulled the stock valve covers off and had them powder coated crinkly black. I think it matches well with the textured plastic around the engine bay and the compressor coating.

Finished and installed cam covers. Broke the oil cap stem but the cap directly attached to the cover and looks pretty good. Wiring for the wideband O2 sensor.

Essentially finished with the install. An unholy alliance of Whipple kit with Kenne Bell IC reservoir!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey ytix, the cam covers look great

what oil separator is that

Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Is the Whipple IC res sub-standard or something? What were your reasons for going with the KB IC res?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Whipple looks good.

Quick Reply: Whipple install II