Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen supercharger installation notes

Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
dewittalday

Default Saleen supercharger installation notes

I just installed a Saleen Stage 3 kit from Brenspeed during the weekend of 10/26-10/28. Thought I'd share some of my experiences: [ul][*]I installed everything myself, except only when a friend helped me put the blower on ('cause it's heavy), and when he helped me put the belt on ('cause it was damn tight even with the tensioner pulley arm maxed out in the loose position). The belt is 108" (3.4" pulley), but it was really tight. After talking to Brenspeed about this, they asked if I had the instructions to remove a tab near the top bolt that holds on the tensioner pulley arm. Apparently that allows the tensioner pulley to be pushed back further, but I haven't done this yet (since I never got the instructions).[*]I live in an apartment, but have a garage. I parked my car in a spot across from my garage where I could work on it since my garage has no room to walk around the car when it's parked in there.[*]I spent about 6 hours on Friday night (10/26) tearing everything apart, and about 10 hours on Saturday (10/27) and 6 more hours on Sunday (10/28) putting stuff on. I was very meticulous with everything. I took plenty of breaks each day since I'm one of those guys that eats 7 times a day. I also had several people come by wanting to find out what I was doing, so I'd estimate I lost about 3 total hours of "bullsh*t" time talking to people.[*]A case of beer helped a lot [*]Most of the tools needed are basic hand tools, but I bought all the tools that were listed in the instructions I didn't have. One of the handiest tools was adjustable hose clamp pliers. You'll definitely need the deep sockets that are listed.[*]The 10mm bolt at the back of the blower that is under the bypass actuator is a pain. I did not have a 10mm shallow wobbly socket, because I thought a normal socket on a universal drive extension would work, but it didn't (the bypass set screw gets removed before you put the 10mm bolt in and I still didn't have room to get a socket on). I had to hand tighten this bolt and then tighten further using a small 10mm open-end wrench by quarter turns. I would suggest getting the 10mm shallow wobbly socket.[*]When I got the kit, the boost bypass actuator was popped off its bracket, and the coolant crossover hose that goes on top of the engine block was crushed at the end where it connects to the nipple near the front of the block. I rounded out the coolant pipe and got it on, and Brenspeed has shipped me a new bypass actuator so I'll put that on when I get it. In the meantime, its zip-tied down.[*]The heater core hoses and 13mm bracket bolt described in step 49-50 on page 26 are a pain. They are located between the block and firewall on the passenger side. I was not able to get a 13mm ratcheting wrench on the bolt, but a 13mm deep socket with ratchet worked for me.[*]Do not drop anything under the blower after it has been mounted! That's where I accidentally dropped the 3/8" plug that goes on the coolant crossover pipe. So I had to take out all the intake bolts and crossover pipe, then lift up the intake just enough to get my arm under it to get the damn plug. Keep in mind my friend already left after he helped me put the intake on.[*]Everything else was easy to follow in the instructions. I rented a coolant system pressure tester from AutoZone ($75 deposit), which helped to properly fill the intercooler and radiator coolant.[*]I installed an Autometer Nexus boost/vac gauge. I mounted the boost/vac sensor on the firewall on the passenger side, and hooked the line into a T-fitting coming off the hose from the fuel pressure transducer (this was suggested by Brenspeed). The problem I'm having is that it reads ~10 in/Hg vacuum at idle, and I've only gotten a max of 3 psi boost. I can hear the blower whine (and can feel it ) but I think the problem might be with the bypass actuator not being mounted correctly, so hopefully the new one I get will fix this problem.[*]I also have a Nexus wideband a/f gauge, but that is not mounted yet. I am planning on getting some custom dyno tunes and having the shop weld in the bung for me then (since I don't have a welder and don't know anyone that does).[*]I put a "separator" on the driver's side PCV tube some time ago when I had a C&L intake. It has a 5-micron filter element. Almost no oil accumulated with the C&L intake. After having the supercharger on for about a week, there is about 1/16" of oil in the bottom of the separator. Guess it's better here than in the intake, but looks like I might need to check the separator fairly often, or get a "catch-can". [/ul]If I had to do it again, I would. My back was sore for a few days. I think I could actually do it again (if I had to) in 12 hours or less (by myself).

The increased low-end torque is the most noticeable difference I can feel. It definitely takes a lot less to accelerate. At idle I can't tell that the car even has a supercharger. I can hear the "whine" from 2500+ rpm, but my exhaust drowns it out at higher rpm (I have Dynatech 1 3/4" full length headers, catted X-pipe, and Corsa axle-backs). The car is definitely a beast, and I will post dyno numbers when I get it tuned (probably in a week or two).

Wow, this is a long post, but hopefully it was helpful to someone.

Edit: Almost forgot - the alternator pulley was a b*tch to get off. Had to get a ride to AutoZone to use an impact gun, and it was still hard to get off. You definitely need an impact gun for this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/A24F4A18D73B479BB6D768FF359DAC4E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/BA9E39DECE4D447FBA3029C16CEC6D2A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/5633738F72CD42659DCBB91D3109823F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/2057712F3B814DB69FA7E4F33AF0741B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/19A7089FA9D749C690612CDC594B0AAA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen supercharger installation notes

very nice, that saleen looks great in there.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with the stage three instead of the stage four? I've been debating whether or not I'll feel safe with 540 HP on stock internals, so I might be getting the stage three as well. Just curious as to what made you decide on the stage three.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 AM
dewittalday

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with the stage three instead of the stage four? I've been debating whether or not I'll feel safe with 540 HP on stock internals, so I might be getting the stage three as well. Just curious as to what made you decide on the stage three.
Several people on these forums say over 500bhp is asking for trouble with the stock engine components, but adding any power-adder can be risky. I just felt that I might as well go for ~500bhp and get a safe/reliable custom tune to be ~425rwhp/400tq. I don't dog my car, so I think the Stage 3 kit will be a safe setup for me. With the Stage 4, I wouldn't have felt comfortable "getting on it" without worrying about pushing a rod out the side of the block. The only thing I'm worried about now is the clutch (and tires ).

I also went with Brenspeed for their customer service. They are very good at returning emails and phone calls, and they're sending me a new bypass actuator that was damaged. I'm definitely happy with my purchase.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

+1 on Brenspeed's service. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and I've spent a couple thousand dollars on their products already. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm concerned about the stage four setup because I also wouldn't want to throw a rod, but being that the stage four is only about $100 bucks more than the stage three, it's really hard for me to resist. Ultimately, I'll probably take the safe route and just get the stage three.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

[sm=hail.gif]
Appreciate your time for the write up. I'm envious!
Enjoy the new car.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Great job on the car! And the write up!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Well done! I pussed out and had Dave install mine. For $650 including a dyno run to insure everything is working I just couldn't pass it up.

Nineinch - I have the Stage III kit and tune and you can see my numbers below. That's pushing 10 lbs through the blower but with a tune which is on the safe side. If I wanted more I have a couple of instant options: A. Go get a dyno tune and get the A/F leaner. Guys pushing10 lbs are getting anywhere from 20-50(!) more rwhp than I am and I believe that's in the A/F. B. Put on a smaller pulley (ala Stage IV) and retune.

Right now I got more power than I can put to the ground so I reckon I'll leave it alone .
Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 AM
jjgt07
1st Gear Member

hi,all is good. i have a 07 gt with a sct two and a air intake kit, superchargers are all good but whats the speed limit?? if you dont race.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I don't have an S/C, but I think I can answer.. It's not about how fast you can go, but
rather how quick you get there. I could care less about top speed. I love the feeling of
getting slammed into my seat during acceleration. I don't think I'm alone on this either.

Oh yeah...Congrats on the S/C and nice job on the install!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saleen supercharger installation notes