Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

body kit and performance!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
a.akawi
1st Gear Member

Default RE: body kit and performance!

alight.

If a chin spoiler can do the job thenthis one is really nice https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=4339_820.jpg

if i'm buying a front bumper (for more air flow into the engine) i would go for the steeda front bumper. Then, the Street Scene Mustang Kit GT Kit, or the Shelby GT (same as the CS GT) front bumper

... so im guessing the rear bumper is just for show! right?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

fo sho
Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

The reason a chin spoiler (air dam) will help is due to the low pressure area it creates under the car. The problem is, it needs to be close to the ground to have any real effect - not good for daily driving. Also, the low pressure created "sucks" in high pressure (relatively) from the sides of the car. This is where side skirts come in. However, for them to be effective, they have to be very close to the ground - even better, they have to create a seal with the ground. They tried this in the past in Formula One racing, but I believe it was banned or simply wasn't feasable. One car used fans and side skirts to "suck" the car to the ground. However, if I remember right, a fan failure caused a serious accident and the technology was banned after only a couple races.

In short, most body kits are for appearance only. The only real aerodynamic gain is accomplished through the use of front and rear wings and the use of ground effect (aerodynamic shaping of the underbody).

Dustin
Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

If you're thinking about getting more air into the engine... you should stop thinking.

Look at your front bumper. Look at how large the grill opening is. Now think about what causes the hood to rise up at greater than highway speeds. That's right, folks, there is a MASSIVE surplus of air in the S197 engine bay. That gaping grill has the aerodynamic property of a parachute.

If you're genuinely interested about utilizing airflow for the purpose of performance think about where the air is and where it should go.

So we have problems with hot brakes and too much air under the hood. Ducting to send it to the brakes would be a great idea. A hood with vents to channel the air over the engine and out over the top of the car will allow for increased air flow through the engine bay, cooling the engine better, and reducing drag. An air splitter under the front bumper will increase front down force and will channel the air underneath the car.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

On my racing karts the front of our bodies have lips and serve as airdams...But they are about 3/8 of an inch from the ground. On a stang, you really dont need downforce as our cars are already pigs[8D]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

If you're genuinely interested about utilizing airflow for the purpose of performance think about where the air is and where it should go.

So we have problems with hot brakes and too much air under the hood. Ducting to send it to the brakes would be a great idea.
+1...keep the brakes cooler..might as well make use of the extra air
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: a.akawi
Hey guys,

I would like to have your input on the issue of body kits and performance.

we have alot of designs in the market ... some which are good looking and some which are ugly.... however, as far as I know, the performance body kit should help the air flow on the car and push it downwards for better grip on high speeds. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Now which of existing body kits do actually work?!

(I’m looking for a front bumper to be precise)

Cheers,
AK
Hi AK,

If you want to improve your car's aerodynamics, you need to pretty much leave it alone. The last thing you need to do is add more holes in the front of the car, more drag with non-functional fake scoopsand additional weight from a body kit and stick on body parts. Virtually none of these body kits are wind tunnel tested for drag, liftor cooling, they are for styling only and hurt your performance due to additional drag and weight. Save your money unless you want to make a style statement with your car.

That said there are a few things you can do to improve airflow issues with the S197GT body and improve front downforce and cooling. In front, you can add an air dam orthe more efficient horizontal splitter bothof whichget moreair over the hood and around the sides of the car. With the splitter or air damI wouldrecommend that you addAgent 47's lower valance grill and spindle mounted brake ductswhich are what you need for keeping your brakes (yes, even big brakes!), alive and functional for more thanthree or four heavyapplications.Legend has a nice splitter that you can add depth to if you addsupport strutsfor track work or you can fabricate a similar part out of CFplate and epoxy resin like we used to do back in the olden days. You can also vent the hood or fenders to relieve engine compartment air pressure and reduce the air getting under the chassis, which improves drag and downforce.The hood or fender ventscan be a goodmodification, which can improve engine compartment cooling, and isfairly drag neutral if done right which is to say you need vents large enough to actually flow enough air to relieve under hood pressure. Leave the sides alone, there is nothing practical you can add here that will do anything but hurt you drag wise. At the rear of the car unless you are willing to install a tall race wing a clean trunk lidis better. Basically anything lower than the roofline is not going to do anything because it is in the shadow of the roof and just stirring dirty air around adding turbulence. If you wanted to go nuts you could use sheet-molding plastics to smooth and clean up the underbody airflow particularly around the front suspension, rear axle and closing off the big air scoop that the rear bumper cover makes under the car or venting it out the back as Roush has done. This used to reduce drag surprisinglywell on the GermanFWD and AWD racecars we used to work on. You have to be careful that you leave adequate area to allow air out of the engine compartment and to let the exhaust and transmission breath, as they need some airflow to keep cool for reliability.

HTH!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read off of other racing specific forums, splitters are still fairly effective 4-5 inches off of the ground. It all depends on how strong it is & how far it sticks out. Even little lip spoilers will reduce lift on the front end. However I doubt any of the body kits have truely been designed with downforce in mind, as balance is critical!!

For every pound of downforce one adds to the front, it is likely half a pound of downforce was removed from the rear. That doesn't sound significant, but if one manages to add 50lbs downforce (really reducing lift by 50 lbs on street car, different discussion) in the front at 100 mph, 25 lbs of lift may have been generated in the rear, creating alooser car, which isn't desired at those speeds!reversing the effect isn't good either if the car really understeers. I've seen wind tunnel results that show the see-saw effect of just adding one aerodynamic aid, or poorly matched parts.

For most body kits, the difference will be small, to the point that you may just notice a little change at high speed; the rear end may feel a little looser or the front might not feel as responsive.

Tom
Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Yesss. Agent 47 does great! work... Functional, and stylish..[8D]
Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM
a.akawi
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt want to play with the air flow then, but a chin spoiler for downforce will be good since I always drive on high speeds when I get back from work!!!

My only problem with chin spoilers is the looks!
I cant stand anything extra on my car, anything that feels it is not ment to be there!

and the only chin spoiler I liked was this https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=4339_820.jpg

Do you guys think it will do the job?

Quick Reply: body kit and performance!