Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tuning my stang for first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
jdavid897

Default tuning my stang for first time

hello everyone, i just purchased an xcal2 from brenspeed with a c&l cai. I will be tuning the car with a 93 octane. This will be my first experience. What should i do and dont do so i dont screw up the car. Especially using the tuner. Will take any tips.thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tuning my stang for first time

make sure you have 93 in the car before loading the tune. Fill it up once with 93 and let it run down and then fill it with 93 again before loading the tune to be safe. But if you don't want to wait that long, let the car run down until the fuel low warning comes on and fill it with 93 there. To be 100% safe though i would fill once with 93 and then fill it again to be safe
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

+1 - make sure the tank is all 93 octane (and your wallet is empty - stuff is expensive).

I have the same tune from Brenspeed. I'm going to drop it down to the 87 octane tune on my next tank just due to the fact its cheaper. I'll see what the HP difference is, doubt it will be too noticeable, if it is I may change back.

Are you asking only about the Gas or are you asking a more general question about installing the CAI and uploading the Tune?

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
jdavid897

i guess what im asking is it difficult touse the tuner especially for a first timer? what do i need to do if i have to take the car in for service?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

No. I did. Just sit in your car, take out your cellphone, and the guys at brenspeed will tell you what to do while you're doing it...Really no way to screw it up
Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's pretty much plug-n-play with the XCAL2 prompting you. There should be an instruction sheet that came with the XCAL2. With the exception of pulling fuses, just follow that.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Mike27

What will the Xcal2 Tune do to your warranty? Sorry to jump in here and ask a new question, but I'm thinking about getting CAI and xcal2 tune very soon and this seemed like a perfect place to ask. I really don't want to screw up my warranty.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike27

What will the Xcal2 Tune do to your warranty? Sorry to jump in here and ask a new question, but I'm thinking about getting CAI and xcal2 tune very soon and this seemed like a perfect place to ask. I really don't want to screw up my warranty.
The tuner will record your factory settings when you first plug it in. This means that you can reset the computer to factory before taking it in, no one the wiser.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Mike27

ORIGINAL: Fullsayl

ORIGINAL: Mike27

The tuner will record your factory settings when you first plug it in. This means that you can reset the computer to factory before taking it in, no one the wiser.
Outstanding. Thanks for the info. I've been saving up cash for a CAI/tune combo and when I heard that it would mess up my warranty, I was a little pissed. But I figured it wouldn't be so common if it killed everyone's warranty. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some dealerships don't care but if you're worried just reload the stock tune before you take it in.

Quick Reply: tuning my stang for first time