Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Side Exhaust w/Kooks Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Side Exhaust w/Kooks Headers

Damn! Another awesome looking car! I love them kits!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

The problem with side exh is clearance, I got the side skirts from BBR and am making my own exh. I'm making the muffler today its 9"wide 14" long and 2 3/4 tall with 3 chambers its like BBR but thinner, also made the pipes going to the rockers out of 3" tube bent into a lazy S then pressed down to 1/12" for clearance under the body I"m only losing a 1/2 of clearance from stock so I can still put a drop on. This is just a first run to see how it works I already have a better design for the next set using 11/2 x 5 rectangular tubing and making the muffler inside the tubing.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

You're correct. I absolutely LOVE the side exhaust and will most likely keep it. However, there are some drawbacks and you nailed the biggest one to me, how low it sits. When I put the kit on my car and lowered the car using the Eibach Pro springs, I had about 2 3/4" at the lowest point from the exhaust to the ground and the lowest point is at the tips. Being right BEFORE the back tire, there is nothing to lift it if you went over a bump. It made getting the car on a ramp (like at a shop) impossible and it would scrape everywhere to the point it made it difficult to drive the car.

My solution was to raise the car back onto the stock springs. Then the 20" wheels look like crap with that wheel gap so I went to a 17" wheel so I could get as much sidewall as possible. The same gap on a car with smaller sidewalls looks a lot bigger so the smaller wheels with big sidewall make the gap look smaller. I also got back tires that are taller than stock (28") to both help fill the gap and raise the car up 1/2" more. I think I have almost 4" clearance now. I have a friend who also has the Cervini C-series that has damaged his side exhaust twice, it gets expensive.

The other drawback is the routing of the exhaust. It must at least resstrict the flow some. BBRs is terrible. If you look on their web site at the exhaust, it takes some hard turns which is a no-no in flow dynamics. Although Cervini's exhaust is longer thab BBRs, it takes smoother turns although still pretty tight and must be somewhat restrictive. I looked at it briefly but couldn't figure aything out. Great idea to customize the exhaust. Good luck with the routing, fitting and hangers and stuff.

ORIGINAL: jjjmm49

The problem with side exh is clearance, I got the side skirts from BBR and am making my own exh. I'm making the muffler today its 9"wide 14" long and 2 3/4 tall with 3 chambers its like BBR but thinner, also made the pipes going to the rockers out of 3" tube bent into a lazy S then pressed down to 1/12" for clearance under the body I"m only losing a 1/2 of clearance from stock so I can still put a drop on. This is just a first run to see how it works I already have a better design for the next set using 11/2 x 5 rectangular tubing and making the muffler inside the tubing.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

By making my pipes in a lazy S it is a little more free flowing but by pressing the pipes down you loose a little flow I'm putting mine on a 6 cyl so I'll gain some. Next set I build using rectangular tubing the mufflers will be built into the tubing before the bends . Then I can 45 the pipes to the exh rockers loosing no flow I figure if nascar can use square tubing for exhaust why can't we! I will post some pictures when I figure out how .
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Here is how it would look with just the side exhaust without the front bumper and the rear valence.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

It should be said while we are talking about the side exhasuts tha unless you want to have them fixed on a fairly regular basis then you will not want to lower the car.......

=) I can show pictures if anyone really needs them
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Here is how it would look with just the side exhaust without the front bumper and the rear valence.

What size Razors are those??
Also Is your Cervini's side exhaust the Magna Flow or the pYPES by Cervini???

Thanks,
TASSY5
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I wonder if there's any chance that one of the photoshop wizards that frequents the board could paste a Cervini's Type II on the front of the black convertible? And, it doesn't look like the Cervini's rear valence is on there.. The full side exhaust kit comes with the side skirts, the piping, and the rear valence.. I have a black convertible with a Type II on it, so this would be PERFECT for me to get a good idea what this is going to look like, or if I should save up a little more money and get a new fascia as well..

Thanks in advance!!