Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who knows their tools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:01 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default Who knows their tools?

My relatives have decided they want to get me a nice tool kit for the holidays. Who knows what kind of tools I should ask for? I know the basics and all the sorts, but what sort of tools are good to have for our ride specifically? Keep in mind I want to be able to install my Saleen blower soon. I want an air-gun as well. Any recommendations on brands/ packages, etc? Thanks guys!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:27 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Who knows their tools?

Ask them for a full set of Snap-On ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.

That ought to run them out of money. In all seriousness, Craftsman hand tools are really quite good, but if I had a money tree I would have a garage full of Lista tool chests loaded with Snap-On tools.

A good, large socket set and a good set of open-end/box-end wrenches is a good start. Sounds like you also want an air compressor and impact driver. You should grab an air nozzle too; it's great for blowing dirt away from stuff you're trying to work on (i.e. out of the valley where the supercharger will go). You should ask them for a high quality torque wrench; cheap torque wrenches mean stripped bolts.

Other than that, you'll just kind of have to figure out what you need as you go along, and make sure you have another car to go on a tool run while the 'Stang is taken apart in the driveway.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:06 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

craftsman or anything else that gives a lifetime warranty on their wrenches. ive been through so many and you can just return them, its a beautiful thing haha
Old 11-17-2007, 02:25 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yep, stick with craftsman, get more tools instead of paying the snap on prices and getting 1 tool!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 PM
1550GT
1st Gear Member

The brand you choose is up to you. I have Craftsman and Snap on both. You will use 10mm-18mm and will need them in combo wrench sets and sockets.Sears has a nice set of Craftsman combo wrenches that twist so your hand is always on the flat side of the wrench making it easier on you when you are pressing hard on the wrench. You will also need a torque wrench 1/2 inch size if you are doing suspension mods. Jacks, jack stands and tire chaulks are good to have also. 1/2 inch breaker bar, 18-24 inches long is another good tool to have. A flouroscent drop light is another good tool to have around.

We also have a Northern tool around here that has tool sets cheaper than Sears and they have a lifetime warranty also.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

So you guys do not recommend snap on...so far it looks like I should start with the basic sockets, torque wrench, breaker bar, and air gun...what size torque wrench is best?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Oh no snap on is top of the line......but the price tag will cause your relatives to go broke!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:05 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Oh no snap on is top of the line......but the price tag will cause your relatives to go broke!
Well I want the best cuz I will have these for a long *** time. I can get a pretty good discount through my internship with Nascar. Say you had $600-800 to spend on tools and a tool box...what would you guys get, tell me how you would spend that money if you had no other tools
Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

my tool chest alone was 500, that was a good craftsman, a snap on is like in the thousands.....

For tools you need a great socket set, craftsman 253 piece set is like 199 or less on sale....thats what i got, torq wrenches....you need 2 good ones, Precision instruments are the same as snap on just lower in price

3/8 Drive
1/2 Drive

That should get you started

Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
1550GT
1st Gear Member

Get exactly what I suggested to start with.
An impact gun is good to have around but that is a luxury. If you do not have an air compressor you will either need to get one or get an electric impact gun.
As far as a tool box goes, do you want one to fit in the trunk or do you want a roll away for the shop or garage. A roll away, even Craftsman will use up a lot of your money. I bought the 26 inch wide plastic one. It will hold my 24 inch breaker bar and a lot of other tools.
Torque wrenches are expensive also unless you get one from a pawn shop or flea market.

Quick Reply: Who knows their tools?