Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger preference?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger preference?????

I would say Saleen. I like the fact Saleen can still use my Steeda CAI, it looks great underhood, and it does the same thing as the KB.

The KB is definitely going to be easier to change pullies on though. That's for sure.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I like the Saleen, but it's purely aesthetic. I have a 'vert, so I'm not going over ~450rwhp. The Saleen will make that no problem, and it's a much cleaner looking unit, what with the front-mount intake and all..

A friend has the KB, and it's a nice unit, makes a ton of power. Just depends on what you want.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Like any modification, you need to start with a plan. What do you want out of the car? If you want to race it and go for big numbers and plan to build the bottom end of the engine, I would go for the big KB if I also wanted it to be very streetable.

If you have no plans to build the engine but just want a very efficient supercharger to add plenty of power and not cut up your engine compartment and have to rearrange things, get the Saleen. The Saleen looks like it was meant to be there. It can take you all the way to the point where you will need a built engine if you run enough boost.

On my Saleen, I'm running 12psi w/478rwhp + 450tq for track times of 11.52@119mph in the 1/4. If I really wanted to race the car seriously, I probably wouldn't go with either, I probably would have gone with a centrifical or turbo for really big numbers but then it isn't as streetable. -Joe
Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Like any modification, you need to start with a plan. What do you want out of the car? If you want to race it and go for big numbers and plan to build the bottom end of the engine, I would go for the big KB if I also wanted it to be very streetable.

If you have no plans to build the engine but just want a very efficient supercharger to add plenty of power and not cut up your engine compartment and have to rearrange things, get the Saleen. The Saleen looks like it was meant to be there. It can take you all the way to the point where you will need a built engine if you run enough boost.

On my Saleen, I'm running 12psi w/478rwhp + 450tq for track times of 11.52@119mph in the 1/4. If I really wanted to race the car seriously, I probably wouldn't go with either, I probably would have gone with a centrifical or turbo for really big numbers but then it isn't as streetable. -Joe
+1, What he said!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

since mines not on there im going to have to go with KB!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:34 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

I guess I am in favor of the Saleen as I have installed one in my 05 GT 5sp last October. 3.6 pulley 39lb injectors custom tune net rwhp 427 torque 430. All with stock exhaust.Very streetable. Goobs of low in torque. Just a fun machine to drive every day.KB maybe more potential for HP and torque if your into Drag racing.The Saleen is nice and quiet.Nothing to give it a way until you go WOT .Then the fun begins. Either way you can't go wrong if your going SC. Last thing is suspension,you will need to atleast upgrade the LCA's and springs or your in for a lot of rear wheel hop.Went with CHE lca's and Roush rear springs. Big difference. Enjoy the ride which ever way you go. Pure fun!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

well, I chose the kennebell because I have that set up along with a custom motor, steeda exhaust, and a couple more things I cant remember at the moment and the set up is awsome. Im pushing out between 600-650 (I havent put it on the dyno yet) The downside was the stock motor only lasted 2 days with the super charger on it but now we have a motor with forged internals rated to 900hp. I would recomend putting some money in the motor first. I hear the stock motor is great with the set up if you use the 5 psi pulley. Some have success with the 8 but ours blew...
Old 11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Grabber07Orange
2nd Gear Member

the kenne bell looks better and it's bigger...the more volume of air displaced per turn of the pulley= more boost without causing as much parasitic loss... in theory the KB unit displaces more air per turn of the pulley than the Saleen so the KB would be more effecient i would think
Old 11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Well... I chose the Saleen for a simple fact that Brenspeed and others have tunes for it. I don't know of anyone that i can trust to dyno tune my car.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Saleen....Its ana lot cleaner looking system and brenspeed has great kits available

Quick Reply: supercharger preference?????