Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

header hits steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default header hits steering shaft

well ive had my OBX longtubes on since summer and ive been trying to figure out a way to stop this problem but im out of ideas. its fine driving in a straight line or turning left...but when u turn right the motor moves just enough to make the header hit the steering shaft and it grabs making it hard to turn. theres only about a paper width of room between the header and shaft...and help? ideas guys?[/align]
Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: header hits steering shaft

Prothane motor mounts. It should slove the problem. The stock ones are soft and let the motor move 1/4 -1/2" side to side. The prothane mounts should cure it. Otherwise you will have to modify your LT's or your steering shaft.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

ive tried modifying the headers but im thinking the only way to do it is take the header off and i sure as hell dont want to do that...that took forever to install
Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

+1^ Take a look at Tacobill's how to thread and vid. Rocks the car, but not the engine.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

sry kinda new to the forum whos tacobill and where can i find that
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jawsgt

sry kinda new to the forum whos tacobill and where can i find that

It is a sticky above the General 2005-2008 threads. How to guides. Very informative info and documentation is second to none.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

thanx i found it..great info there for sure. but its so close i dont think mounts will help much. no dought it will help a lil but like i said its about 2 pieces a paper close. i can grab my engine and move it just a little and hit the shaft. anyone else using OBX headers?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I installed my OBX LT's a little over a month ago.Using the stock mounts myself. I had the same issue at first. I had about a 1/8" clearance to the steering shaft, would rub slightly in a turn. Recently shifted my engine over towards pass side as far as the mount slots allowed, seems to have cured my steering shaft rub. Now I'm real close to the pass side frame rail.
Installed a set in a friends 05 auto, but he used the prothene mounts in his. We also put a small flat in the one primary near the steering shaft, left us plenty of clearance. No rub on his. But, the prothene mounts actually raised the engine 1/4-1/2", he had to modify his Shaker scoop as it was putting a little pressure on the hood. The stock mounts actually settle down a bit more than the prothene ones do. If I have any more clearance issues, I'll be installing the prothene mounts on mine as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

aircare84 I see you have the pypes mid muffler exhaust. i was thinking of this myself how does it sound? also do u have the off-road pypes without the mufflers or with? You live in central ohio maybe we could hook up sometime ide love to hear yours.wuts it run in the 1/4? sorry for all the questions i just havent talked to anyone with the OBX headers
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Edited my signature,forgot to update it.
I ran the Pypes mid-muffler setup for 1 week after I installed the LT's. Too much for my tastes, it was loud! I liked the mid-muffler setup while running the factory cats & H, but with the headers on the highway,I felt like I was driving a Harley. I re-installed the factory over-axle pipes & my previous GTA's. Much more tolerable now. It cut the loudness down by over half.
I've got some vids on youtube,if you can't search by aircare84, I'll give you the links.
Right after we installed the headers, my friend shot some short clips with the mid-muffler setup, but it was from a digital camera & sound wasn't near what it was in person. If you max out the speaker volume while listening, it may be almost as loud!

As for the 1/4, maybe next spring I might get it over to National Trails for a run. Haven't as of yet.

Quick Reply: header hits steering shaft