Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Green08BulliTT

Default RE: Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!

well i would not be to worried. i have a turbo'd sentra for over 2 years and at idle and crusie i get 14.6-15.3 afr with a lm-1 unit. now when i punch it i get more like 10.5 afr that i have tuned it for. i have over 20k on the engine and every thing runs fine. i would imagine this would be fine as well. what o2 sensor (wideband or just one off the stock o2)are you using? i know with the lm-1 i have to resest or calibrate it like every 3k miles or so. with out knowing what it does under more throttle or wot there is no way to truely know if you are running lean when it matters.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Haney-I double checked the fuse that I tapped. It's definitely a switched 12V and remains hot during cranking. I could take a picture of the fuse panel and circle the one I used if you ever need it for anything.

Green-I have the autometer ultralite wideband that comes with its own dedicated bosch O2 sensor.

Moose-I'm waiting until my lunch break at 2am (I work nights)to take her out for a bit and attempt WOT.

Everyone-Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Sorry cant help with the poblem but you can help me ,I have been trying to find out where to connect the brown wire for WOT . Where is yours connected?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Hey Nails,

OK boost on mine is at -20 at idle. and goes up when on the pedal up to obviouslly 10 lbs when on the pedal hard. Mechanical Gauge.
As for my Dynojet wide band AF set up. It will atay around 14-15 cruising around and at WOT it should be at 12 which it is. I was told it under WOT it goes HIGH like say 18 get off quick cause I would have some kind of problem. Also MY AF gauge has a warning light I am going to download the program from Dynojet to the Dynojet Wideband so a Warning light will come on if it goes to a bad range. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebr

Sorry cant help with the poblem but you can help me ,I have been trying to find out where to connect the brown wire for WOT . Where is yours connected?
If you want to use the WOT option, you have to install a normally open WOT switch (sometimes used for nitrous applications). I opted not to use that feature, so my brown wire is just grounded per autometer's instructions.

Tassy-Thanks for the info man. My A/F is hovering between mid-14 and mid-15 during normal driving. I'm going to open the car up in about an hour to see where it's at under WOT. I'll report back when I do. My A/F gauge has the warning light also, but it's programmed to kick in at about 15.4 from what I've seen.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

As for my Dynojet wide band AF set up. It will atay around 14-15 cruising around and at WOT it should be at 12 which it is. I was told it under WOT it goes HIGH like say 18 get off quick cause I would have some kind of problem.
If it goes anywhere above12.3 under WOT I would get off it that islean for FI.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Well, I opened it up for a bit a little while ago, and everything seems OK. If anything, I'm running too rich. My boost got up to about 10.5 PSI, my fuel pressure reached about 73 PSI, and my air/fuel leveled out at 10.9 during a WOT run through third gear. Can't wait to get this sucker dynotuned...
Old 02-08-2008, 04:12 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Well, I opened it up for a bit a little while ago, and everything seems OK. If anything, I'm running too rich. My boost got up to about 10.5 PSI, my fuel pressure reached about 73 PSI, and my air/fuel leveled out at 10.9 during a WOT run through third gear. Can't wait to get this sucker dynotuned...
Well if you 10.9 all the way to 6k then thats aleast 25rwhp right there (on an 11.6 afr)without even touching the timing yet which is good as I am interested in total timing.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Just some thoughts.

You know after seeing Nineichnails afr if you could get the stock FRPP Whipple tune on a X Cal 2 (which should be possible) from a tuner and you have a good wideband AFR gauge installed. We could improve on the stock tune very easy. I mean we seen guys dyno at 410 rwhp with the Whipple stock tune, so just leaning out the fuel with the X cal and using a wide band ( to setup the afr)we could very easy improve that rwhp to around 440 rwhp from a 410rwhp baseline.

The Whipple stock tune runs 19* timing already so just by leaning the fuel with the X cal 2 and using the wideband to get the afr to 11.4-11.6 should produce the above results with no problem imo.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Just some thoughts.

You know after seeing Nineichnails afr ifyou could get the stock FRPP Whipple tune on a X Cal 2 (which should be possible) from a tuner and you have a good wideband AFR gauge installed. We could improve on the stock tune very easy. I mean we seen guys dyno at 410 rwhp with the Whipple stock tune, so just adding fuel with the X cal and using a wide band ( to setup the afr)we could very easy improve that rwhp to around 440 rwhp from a 410rwhp baseline.

The Whipple stock tune runs 19* timing already so just by increasing the fuel with the X cal 2 and using the wideband to get the afr to 11.4-11.6 should produce the above results with no problemimo.

I've seen many people claim as much as 465rwhp on the FRPP tune. I like your idea, and I have an Xcal,but to be honest, I don't trust the wideband gauge enough to do any tuning based on its reading. If when I get the car tuned, it turns out that the wideband is dead nuts accurte, then I might play with my options a bit more, but for now, I'll let the dyno tuner work his magic.

Quick Reply: Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!