Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Scary Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: Scary Plug Change

i make mechanics do all of my work for me on my car.. even if i can do it myself i don't want to..
Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your plug change. I watched that video and it scared the crap out of me. This situation sucks a$$
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

birdoffire7
Date 2/16/2008 4:04:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your plug change. I watched that video and it scared the crap out of me. This situation sucks a$$
+1 I only have about 8500 miles on mine and I know I should try to pull them and put anti-seize on them but Im just too damn scared. I mean it seems to me that the dealer charges about as much as the plugs and the cost of the tool in case of breakage. I mean I would probably save money in the long end if I did them my self, but my luck one would break off in the worst spot imaginable and I would have to have it towed to the dealer so they could take the head off to get it out!!! I think I will just pay the dealer and not stress over it when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

I'm still running the stock plugs at 106,000 miles . One dealer said that I'd be responsible if "they" broke a plug doing the job. He said then it would cost "me" like 2 grand or something. Needless to say, they didn't do my plugs.

I will search for a new dealer. Would it be their problem if they break a plug even if the car isn't under warranty?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CBSTANG

birdoffire7
Date 2/16/2008 4:04:05 PM

+1 I only have about 8500 miles on mine and I know I should try to pull them and put anti-seize on them but Im just too damn scared. I mean it seems to me that the dealer charges about as much as the plugs and the cost of the tool in case of breakage. I mean I would probably save money in the long end if I did them my self, but my luck one would break off in the worst spot imaginable and I would have to have it towed to the dealer so they could take the head off to get it out!!! I think I will just pay the dealer and not stress over it when the time comes.
Yeah man. I've changed plugs on cars I don't know how many times. When I orginally bought this car I thought "Great, they're right on top, piece of cake." Now I don't know if I should pull them now with 4,800 miles or what until 100,000 and let Ford do it. Once again, this sucks a$$.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

One thing I'm sure of. You should NOT pull them at 4800 miles. They have anti seize on them from the factory. I myself wouldn't even think about it untill 40000 miles. Why bother and loose sleep over it?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If plugs have anti-sieze from the factory, they just started putting it on. My '06 didn't have anything on them.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Wilsonman02

I would think the dealer would be responsible if they broke one. Whether it was under warrenty or not. I would expect them to foot the bill.....they're the dealer.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Wilsonman02
I would think the dealer would be responsible if they broke one. Whether it was under warrenty or not. I would expect them to foot the bill.....they're the dealer.
Thats exactly what I believe, I am paying trained professionals to do a job, and if they ended up breaking a plug or anything else for that matter it should definitely be there responsiblity to replace it. I mean if one of the mechanics actually said to me, "Well I got all but one plug out which broke off, so I'm gonna have to go ahead and charge you extra to repair it." I would definitely have to freak out on he/she for telling me that I have to pay for something they screwed up.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I have heard of some dealerships making you sign a wavier for the plug change.

Quick Reply: Scary Plug Change