Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Scary Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plugs

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I've read through most of these..... I was changing my plugs today, to the exact TSB specifications as required, and I still ended up with 3 busted plugs... Noone around here carries the part directly, and Ford sells it for $711!!!! I found a Triton 3v kit that is a diff part # but the same equipment and ordered that... hope it works...

Should I continue this on my own, or tow it to FORD and make them fix it? I do have the extended warranty premium plus whatever and only 62,000 miles on the car.
Hey Moose, another neurotic?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

I actually changed mine yesterday with 40K on them. I let Ford do the first plug change a couple years ago, but felt things getting a sluggish hesitant. I worked on the car with a room temperature engine. I used a torque wrench set to 30 ft lbs to break them loose. I put Seafoam deep creep in each plug well, and went and cleaned the pool. 1hr later I used a socket and went back and forth, loose to tight until they felt like they were ready to come out. Got all 8 out no breaks. The plugs look OK, but did have some carbon buildup around at the end of the electrode shield. However, I didn't see a lick of anti seize on any of the plugs, whether the deep creep dissolved it, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FOMOCO mechanics don't follow the TSB as well as we do. I put in a set of Champions, with NICKEL anti-seize on the threads/shield and changed the fuel filter and it runs so much better. So it can be done warm or hot. There are also a couple really good internet videos out there as well, especially one from Autolite.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plugs

Originally Posted by adj86
I actually changed mine yesterday with 40K on them. I let Ford do the first plug change a couple years ago, but felt things getting a sluggish hesitant. I worked on the car with a room temperature engine. I used a torque wrench set to 30 ft lbs to break them loose. I put Seafoam deep creep in each plug well, and went and cleaned the pool. 1hr later I used a socket and went back and forth, loose to tight until they felt like they were ready to come out. Got all 8 out no breaks. The plugs look OK, but did have some carbon buildup around at the end of the electrode shield. However, I didn't see a lick of anti seize on any of the plugs, whether the deep creep dissolved it, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FOMOCO mechanics don't follow the TSB as well as we do. I put in a set of Champions, with NICKEL anti-seize on the threads/shield and changed the fuel filter and it runs so much better. So it can be done warm or hot. There are also a couple really good internet videos out there as well, especially one from Autolite.
Well done!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! Not gonna lie, it was pretty terrifying for most of the time. It was like winning the lottery every time a whole plug came out.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM
merfsiu

I feel lucky, I didnt see any of this til after I did my plugs a couple weeks ago.

05 gt with 92K miles.

I let the engine cool down first. Every plug felt like it was binding after an 8th of a turn. But I just went slow and a little bit at a time so the threads wouldn't heat up and I got all 8 out without a hitch.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Fader
1st Gear Member

I'm hearing that Motorcraft isn't selling the 2-piece plugs anymore. Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather use Motorcraft, but also don't want the headaches.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Two piece plugs?? That's a joke...right? One piece going in & two pieces coming out, if they break ha ha .. Chevy has used steel plugs in their aluminum heads for years & ALWAYS used anti sieze on them from the factory. Why so many problems with these plugs & heads? And how does carbon get built up on the plug threads? The threaded portion of the plug is suppose to be the exact same length as the threaded hole in the head, so there shouldn't be any extra threads of the plug protruding into the cylinder for carbon to build up on. Did FoMoCo buy a shiet load of "kinda sorta wanna be plugs" from the Chinese, & the threaded portion is too long? What am I missing here??
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Tbones80

Its not the threads that carbon up. Theres a sleeve going through the head, very close to it. Carbon builds up between the sleeve and the head, so spark plug twists out of the sleeve, leaving the sleeve behind. You can buy 1 piece plugs to replace them. Broken ones are easily removed using the lisle tool, its like $40 off amazon.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Tbones80

Also even if you get the new 2 piece plugs, they work fine. Sleeve is better attached to the plug, and is a different metal alloy (nickel I think) that carbon wont bind to.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Don't fear the two piece plugs. It's not the plugs themselves that's the problem, but the carbon that is allowed to fuse them to the head over time. Break them loose every 10,000 miles or so, clean them off, and a new coat of anti-sieze. They'll never break if you do this religiously.

Quick Reply: Scary Plug Change