Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Just turned them another 1/8 turn after soaking for 20 minutes. Still tough, but did not exceed 25 ft/lb torque. Now I'll wait 2 hours and give it a go.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

No way I will be screwing around with a plug change on my car after reading a few threads about this. Minewill be done at the dealer. I usually would not take a vehicle to the dealer for a plug change but I don't want to gamble with this.

Why are you guys risking changing the plugs yourself when you know of this potentially very costly or time consuming problem if the plug breaks?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Because there's no way the dealer would be as patient and careful as I will, and thus they are more likely to break a plug. Since most dealers are still insisting that the customer will have to pay even if the dealer breaks it, I figure I'll play the averages and do it myself.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Because there's no way the dealer would be as patient and careful as I will, and thus they are more likely to break a plug. Since most dealers are still insisting that the customer will have to pay even if the dealer breaks it, I figure I'll play the averages and do it myself.
Come on over and do mine for me, that way you can just pick up those springs
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Come on over and do mine for me, that way you can just pick up those springs
LOL - you might wanna wait to see if I'm successful before asking that.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

Maybe the dealer isn't quite as careful or patient but they do have written documentation on how to change the plugs to try to avoid breaking them. The best course of action would be to talk to the stealership you take it to and confirm what is going to happen if they break a plug.It sounds crazy to me that some dealers would make you pay. If you break it yourself then you definetly have to pay or spend a lot of time trying to fix it.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

X2!....right now all I'm into this for is $60 worth of spark plugs $18 worth of antiseize, $5 worth of carb cleaner and a whole lot of aggravation. If the stealership did it and busted a couple spark plugs, you're looking at paying $400+ worth of repair costs....shoot, they may even want to pull the head! I personally don't want to crack open my engine. I'll get it out...without their stupid $289 rotunda tool and without pulling the head...and when I do I'll post pics of the culprit! Once again, this is not my daily driver. Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and support!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

X2!....right now all I'm into this for is $60 worth of spark plugs $18 worth of antiseize, $5 worth of carb cleaner and a whole lot of aggravation. If the stealership did it and busted a couple spark plugs, you're looking at paying $400+ worth of repair costs....shoot, they may even want to pull the head! I personally don't want to crack open my engine. I'll get it out...without their stupid $289 rotunda tool and without pulling the head...and when I do I'll post pics of the culprit! Once again, this is not my daily driver. Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and support!
Here's what you need.

http://www.nextag.com/ASTRO-PNEUMATI...52/prices-html

If you can't use one to grab onto the strap, you could use the 45 degree ones to grip the inside wall of the plug and pull it out. Just stick it down in there, open it up and pull it out. How about a coat hanger with some some tape wrapped backwards around the end?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

Hicompression - Man, I'm praying you can get that piece out. I just did this procedure and was freaking out until ALL plugs were out in one piece...with 110K I was really worried.
Good luck Bro!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Here's what you need.

http://www.nextag.com/ASTRO-PNEUMATI...52/prices-html

If you can't use one to grab onto the strap, you could use the 45 degree ones to grip the inside wall of the plug and pull it out. Just stick it down in there, open it up and pull it out. How about a coat hanger with some some tape wrapped backwards around the end?
Yeah those might work if the darn ceramic insulator wasn't still broken off inside of the shield. There's really not enough room to grab the outside rim of the shield with those.

Quick Reply: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB