Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #61
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Texotic

why would one cylinder be that much hotter than all of the others? it can't be good for the engine to have an unbalanced displacement of heat like that can it? is it hotter enough that it would make sense to use a colder plug in that cylinder?

Hotter cylinder temps might equate to a cleaner plug and cumbustion chamber which wouldn't explain why the plug breaks in that hole only. I haven't heard of this varying temp in cylinders before. But putting in a colder plug won't help the carbon issue, it may hurt it. Allow for even more buildup;.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #62
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mach 1
Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Texotic

why would one cylinder be that much hotter than all of the others? it can't be good for the engine to have an unbalanced displacement of heat like that can it? is it hotter enough that it would make sense to use a colder plug in that cylinder?
The reason why the rear-mostcylindersmay be hotter is because of the routing of the coolant passages in the head.I'm notstating this as fact...just something someone passed along to me. Less coolant flow = hotter cylinder.

It would be interesting tofind outwhich cylinder the spark plugs are most often broken off in.
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #63
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

yes it would.
Steeda Rear Swaybar & G-Trac Brace
Corsa's
Sequentials
Waiting to be installed: BMR Adj. Street Combo LCA's
Texotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #64
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

In case any of you are interested, I placed an order today by phone with Summit Racing for (8) Champion #7989 plugs. The price I was quoted (and I asked a second time) was $4.95 each. Even with shipping & tax (I live in Ohio)the total came to $52.56.

The ladyI spoke with said they didn't have any right now, but that they had a "huge" order on the way. She also said she already had 56 orders (mine was #57). She wasn't sure when they'd be in, but thought it would be no more than 2-3 weeks. Just thought you'd like to know.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #65
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Did mine today one plug was stubborn so I followed the tsb sprayed a little carb cleaner on it and it came out. They did have carbon build up on them, they've only been in about 5-6 thousand miles. I'm glad I did it now and not wait,the one did give me a grey hair.

Paxton Novi 2200 HO s/c ; DSS 302 stroker, GT-500 fuel pumps,
ARH long tubes, 2.87 pulley, FRPP 3:73 Gear, Coastline Al. d/s.rwhp plenty.
cfr865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #66
richmod
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

In case any of you are interested, I placed an order today by phone with Summit Racing for (8) Champion #7989 plugs. The price I was quoted (and I asked a second time) was $4.95 each. Even with shipping & tax (I live in Ohio)the total came to $52.56.

The ladyI spoke with said they didn't have any right now, but that they had a "huge" order on the way. She also said she already had 56 orders (mine was #57). She wasn't sure when they'd be in, but thought it would be no more than 2-3 weeks. Just thought you'd like to know.
Awesome Goldenpony! Thanks for the post - just ordered them myself. $4.95 each -wow!

06 Windveil Blue GT Auto, JLTII CAI, Bama tunes, FRPP/Supreme GTA Axleback
richmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #67
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 Mustang GT Rag Top

i just wanna say that Hicompression your my hero and congrats on a crap job done well. screw the stealership and if i break my plugs i know who to talk to. again congrats and thats what its all about man
PIAA 510 4300k Fogs, 4300k HID DRL Delete,
Steeda 90mm Intake and Tube, Steeda UDP,
BMR Combo LCA, UMI Poly UCA, BMR FSB Delete,
SCT Xcal 3, FRPP CMDP, Innovate Wide 02
PRO 5.0 Shifter, Custom T and Handle
Pypes Mid Muffs, FRPP X pipe
FRPP 4.10s and True Track
13.2 @ 109 at 2400ft above sea level
12.8 @ 111 DA corrected
07musclemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #68
Roy
1st Gear Member

So, is it okey if I borrow your thread?

I would really like to know what to do when you change the plugs. What is the proper way to remov them? If you wanna get the risk of braking a plug to a minimum?

What type of plugs should you put in instead of the factory ones? I live in Sweden so im not sure that the champions can be bought here. A one pice plug is what I have read about, so it that what I should look for in the stores?

Anything else that I should look at on the new plugs?

I think Im gonna let the dealership do the work actully, If I can get promise that I wont have to pay if they brake them.

What would happen if some of the broken plugs feel down in the holes?

I am a little scared of getting it to the dealership, they brake one but dosent tell me, and **** gets down the hole and then...? What happens?

Is there anyway I would notice it? If there arent, then I probobly will do it myself, at least I can see if anything gets down there.

Sorry for the thread steal, hope its okey.

And congrats on your plug change Hicompression.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #69
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 Mustang GT Rag Top

search plug change. there is so much info on this.
basically follow the new tsb with the carb cleaner. (its a liquid not spray) and quarter turn back of quarter turn. use a tq wrench and dont pass 30lb after cracking the seal.
PIAA 510 4300k Fogs, 4300k HID DRL Delete,
Steeda 90mm Intake and Tube, Steeda UDP,
BMR Combo LCA, UMI Poly UCA, BMR FSB Delete,
SCT Xcal 3, FRPP CMDP, Innovate Wide 02
PRO 5.0 Shifter, Custom T and Handle
Pypes Mid Muffs, FRPP X pipe
FRPP 4.10s and True Track
13.2 @ 109 at 2400ft above sea level
12.8 @ 111 DA corrected
07musclemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #70
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to whiterabit998

So like the ceramic and outer electrode/sheath got stuck in cylinder one of my '05 GT w/ 92k miles. 2nd came out kind of okay and i'm pretty sure cylinder 3 has the same issue although I haven't fully removed it yet.. this really sucks, such a routine process goes horribly wrong. Glad Hicompression got his out, I was about to try the cork method again even though I did try it a little but with the inner stick electrode missing it left a hole so pressure does escape, might cover it with JB weld.. bahh
Old 04-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #71
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
N II N JI A

Dude just get the lisle broken plug removal kit. I broke 6 out of 8 and this tool got all the broken pices out. There is a guy on the s197forum who lends his out to people as well.

Here:
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=Lisle

Last edited by Justinsmt88; 04-17-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Justinsmt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #72
Joe2Kool

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Glad you got it out HC!
Joe2Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #73
BrianK
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007,GT, Conv,Windveil Blue/Camel leather

I asked the local dealer (stealer) in Calgary about removing/changing plugs and they quoted me $500 to change if none broke - and up to $1200 if they all broke and the Service advisor laughed which made me see red. So I did it myself - screw them! (none broke/36,000 miles). I was dreading having one break.
Great job HC.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #74
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 Mustang GT

I have found that the best way to do it is to make sure you get the motor hot before you spray the fluid into the plugs. It seems to get into the threads much better.

And on mine, I actually just used a handheld impact to work the plugs back and forth. That worked really well too.
tbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #75
TorchNStang

Vehicle: S197 Mustang GT

yeah 37k here. Going to change them ASAP with NGKs.. As I am not a champion fan.

Whenever a client buys something with a mod motor new or low KMs I suggest changing the plugs so I can use nickel anti seize on the case. There have been times when I've broke all 8 plugs even following the TSB but those motors had 200k+

If you are using the "Cork" method I suggest placing a heavy towel over the cylinder where the tip will fly out from.

Last edited by TorchNStang; 05-26-2013 at 11:48 PM.
TorchNStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #76
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuff View Post
And on mine, I actually just used a handheld impact to work the plugs back and forth. That worked really well too.

Please do not ever use any kind of powertool when changing your spark plugs in an aluminum head. Especially any kind of impact wrench or anything other than a normal wrench/torque wrench and especially in the 4.6 with the 2 piece sparkplugs. I know it might have worked for you but the chances of damaging the threads are enormous and might happen next time. Just looking out for a fellow GT owner.

Last edited by Ricardo; 05-27-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #77
jz
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2Kool View Post
Glad you got it out HC!
Yes I'm glad to see that he got them out too....way back in March of 2008!!!! LOL

06 GT. Steeda Hood, Bumper, F&R sway bars, strut tower brace, struts/shocks, sport springs, HD strut mounts, UDP's, delete plates. Hawk Brake pads. Power Slot Rotors. Goodridge Braided brake Lines. BMR combo UCA, combo/adj LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, adj panhard bar, panhard bar brace. Pro 5.0 shifter. K&N CAI. Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back. FRPP 4.10's. BAMACHIPS SCT 93 tune.
jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
06, 2005, broke, broken, changeing, cost, gt, mustang, plug, plugs, plugsbroken, s197, seized, spark, sparkplug, tsb