Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
superslow86

So has anyone ran in to any issues using the RP Synchromax in the tranny? I am thinking about changing my tranny fluid this weekend as I come up on the 60k mark and was debating on using RP.........Thanks!

2006 GT
Old 12-24-2011, 03:26 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Good thread. Just did all 12 pages.

So.

Ford Manual says Mercon ATF, not Mercon V

Tremec says Mercon (not sure ATF or V) or Mobil 1 ATF. Says NO to Royal Purple, but mainly I gather it's due to lack of testing.

Posts on Mobil 1 ATF go from basically "don't notice a difference" to one individual that said it sucked.

Posts on Royal Purple were all positive. One individual stated they had 100k on it. Results were "about the same" to "awesome".

Orileys' computer at the store says Royal Purple ATF. Royal Purple's website says Sycromax.

The guys here that seam very race oriented all say Redline D4 ATF.

Couple say Amoil is the bomb.

Ok. I'm confused. WTF?

I'm leaning towards Royal Purple Sycromax or RedLine D4. Any other long term users?

Here's my set up I just made for getting oil into the tranny. Using pressure sprayer (like for yardwork) would be simpler, but this way all the messy stuff stays inside for garage storage.... Will simply use light pressure from the compressor to "push" oil into tranny, diffs, whatever...

Last edited by robs; 12-24-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Good thread. Just did all 12 pages.

So.

Ford Manual says Mercon ATF, not Mercon V

Tremec says Mercon (not sure ATF or V) or Mobil 1 ATF. Says NO to Royal Purple, but mainly I gather it's due to lack of testing.

Posts on Mobil 1 ATF go from basically "don't notice a difference" to one individual that said it sucked.

Posts on Royal Purple were all positive. One individual stated they had 100k on it. Results were "about the same" to "awesome".

Orileys' computer at the store says Royal Purple ATF. Royal Purple's website says Sycromax.

The guys here that seam very race oriented all say Redline D4 ATF.

Couple say Amoil is the bomb.

Ok. I'm confused. WTF?

I'm leaning towards Royal Purple Sycromax or RedLine D4. Any other long term users?

Here's my set up I just made for getting oil into the tranny. Using pressure sprayer (like for yardwork) would be simpler, but this way all the messy stuff stays inside for garage storage.... Will simply use light pressure from the compressor to "push" oil into tranny, diffs, whatever...
I only have a few hundred miles on my manual 06 GT with the Royal Purple Synchromax, so far so good. It had 59k miles when I got it and now that it was getting down into the 30-40F range I noticed shifting was a little harder, notchy, etc. I after the Synchromax it was super smooth, I really am surprised. Cold start, warm, all smooth.

It reminds me of when Richard Hammond & Clarkson on Top Gear are complaining about American transmissions feeling like trucks, hard to get into gear, etc. and then (I think it was with a Porsche Carrera GT) pushes a supercar's shifter into gear with one finger. That's how it feels now with the Synchromax.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:33 AM
CaptainOblivious

Default Still Going ...

The thread that is. Using the advice in this thread I changed the transmission fluid in my 2008 GT with a TR3650 5-speed manual and stock shifter.

I have a couple of tips to offer others who, like myself, may not be up to speed on how to get to the point where this thread starts.

1. Raise car with floor jack and jack stands. Go to this thread to see locations of the floor jack and jack stands.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...n-rear-482388/

2. Remove the shift ****, shift boot and dust boot to get the tubing down through the cabin floor - got to 56 second (or 1 minute) mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaH3h...layer_embedded

Good luck - it worked for me.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Went with Amosoil...

Pressure set up worked easy and well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSxO...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
manuel86it

i am confused too about the right fluid..

here in Italy it's quite easy to have Royal Purple products (plus we build cnc machinery and RP also supply oil for them), but for our TR3650 manual transmission (mine is a 2010 gt) it seems i can use both the synchromax or a 75W-90 max gear from Royal Purple.

i don't get the difference between these two product, except from that in technical sheets synchromax is more correct for automatic transmission, but it looks like many of you use this in manual transmission. so what's your advice? i want to gain smoothness in changing gears, so i'm looking for changing the fluid.

thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
NCEDMD

Default Plastic cap in transmission - Oops!

So I did something stupid today while trying this out. When opening my Royal Purple Synchromax transmission fluid, I used the pointed yellow cap on the bottle to puncture the paper seal over the top of the squeeze bottle. I then proceeded to pour the transmission fluid into my tranny as described above, only I used a funnel attached to the plastic tubing instead of attaching the tubing directly to the bottle top.

Only after finishing the job did I realize that one of the little yellow plastic caps that is supposed to be used to recap the squeeze bottle after you cut the top is missing. I am fairly certain it fell into the bottle when I used it to puncture the seal and was then poured into the transmission. I drained all the new fluid into a clean container but the little plastic cap did not come out. I ran the same fluid (all 4 quarts) through the transmission again - still nothing came out.

Am I the first person stupid enough to do this? More importantly, if that little cap is still in my transmission will it cause any damage? I have not driven the car yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Changed mine to RP syncromax. I only jacked up the front and was only able to get 2.8-2.9 quarts back in. The short test drive I took felt good. Did this at the same time as putting in a MGW short throw, so hard to really tell the difference, but no issues with shifting that I had with the stock fluid.

When I took out the fill plug, fluid came out. So I lowered my stands to one less notch (the lowest in which I could fit under). I then put the rest of the 3rd quart in and just pulled the tube out and put the fill plug in as quick as I could so much fluid couldn't come out. About 0.1 quarts came out of the tube.

If I notice any rough shifts, I will just go get another set of stands and check the level that way.

Last edited by washburn085; 03-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NCEDMD
So I did something stupid today while trying this out. When opening my Royal Purple Synchromax transmission fluid, I used the pointed yellow cap on the bottle to puncture the paper seal over the top of the squeeze bottle. I then proceeded to pour the transmission fluid into my tranny as described above, only I used a funnel attached to the plastic tubing instead of attaching the tubing directly to the bottle top.

Only after finishing the job did I realize that one of the little yellow plastic caps that is supposed to be used to recap the squeeze bottle after you cut the top is missing. I am fairly certain it fell into the bottle when I used it to puncture the seal and was then poured into the transmission. I drained all the new fluid into a clean container but the little plastic cap did not come out. I ran the same fluid (all 4 quarts) through the transmission again - still nothing came out.

Am I the first person stupid enough to do this? More importantly, if that little cap is still in my transmission will it cause any damage? I have not driven the car yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I wouldn't worry myself to death about it. You may have just misplaced the cap. At any rate, the transmission will chew that soft plastic up with no problem. :^)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the write-up (4 years ago, LOL). I did mine this weekend; went with Mobil 1 ATF. The old fluid (2006 GT, 20K miles) really looked like crap. I noticed a small, but noticeable, improvement in shifting smoothness.

BTW I did not trust myself to run the tube up through the shifter without making a huge mess inside the car. I just ran a 3.5 or so foot extension on the transfer pump, poured 4quarts into a clean gallon container, and pumped 3 quarts or so in from the gallon container while I comfortably sat next to the car. Once about 3 quarts were in, I got under the car and did the last 0.2 or so from under the car.

Not too messy. The CTS-V is next on my list for this chore....

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid