Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6xStang
Thanks for the write-up (4 years ago, LOL). I did mine this weekend; went with Mobil 1 ATF. The old fluid (2006 GT, 20K miles) really looked like crap. I noticed a small, but noticeable, improvement in shifting smoothness.

BTW I did not trust myself to run the tube up through the shifter without making a huge mess inside the car. I just ran a 3.5 or so foot extension on the transfer pump, poured 4quarts into a clean gallon container, and pumped 3 quarts or so in from the gallon container while I comfortably sat next to the car. Once about 3 quarts were in, I got under the car and did the last 0.2 or so from under the car.

Not too messy. The CTS-V is next on my list for this chore....
I'm still driving on that same synchromax 4 year later.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I did my tranny fluid change over the weekend and decided to use the Mobil 1 ATF based on much of the inputs. I just moved to the high desert here in SoCal and the annual temps range from freezing in winter to the 100's in summer so the M1 ATF seems like a good year round fluid. Thanks especially to moosestang for the writeup which took all the mystery and trepidation out of the task.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
supared

Lot's of information here, albeit confusing for some folks. I have gathered a lot. I don't see any complaints on this forum or on the web of RP Syncromax harming tranmissions, but apparently Tremec has a preference for Moblil. Maybe the tech guys are told that is all they can recommend.

Personally, I am going with the Red Line D4 ATF ("Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection").

I'll maybe come back and comment on the improvement. I will say that if you are pulling hard, 3rd gear misses are likely because of the tranny and shifter design since they don't mate up directly but the shifter is hanging back and connected to the tranny by a rod (in laymen's terms). The tranny moves around with the motor between shifts, which can play tricks on the mind and make it difficult to thread the needle for 3rd. I am planning to go to some stiffer motor mounts next hoping that also improves the shifting to 3rd.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I recently changed the man. trans lube in my '06 GT. I put in Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF. Amsoil products are hard to beat.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supared
Lot's of information here, albeit confusing for some folks. I have gathered a lot. I don't see any complaints on this forum or on the web of RP Syncromax harming tranmissions, but apparently Tremec has a preference for Moblil. Maybe the tech guys are told that is all they can recommend.

Personally, I am going with the Red Line D4 ATF ("Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection").

I'll maybe come back and comment on the improvement. I will say that if you are pulling hard, 3rd gear misses are likely because of the tranny and shifter design since they don't mate up directly but the shifter is hanging back and connected to the tranny by a rod (in laymen's terms). The tranny moves around with the motor between shifts, which can play tricks on the mind and make it difficult to thread the needle for 3rd. I am planning to go to some stiffer motor mounts next hoping that also improves the shifting to 3rd.
Redline makes some good stuff. CHE torque limiters on the transmission will help limit the movement of both the motor and transmission. Mine pretty much jumps into 3rd all by itself.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Whitestang41791
2nd Gear Member

a real interesting read! 12 pages later, and due for a transmission fluid change..... and im still not certain what fluid im going to use! LOL
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitestang41791
a real interesting read! 12 pages later, and due for a transmission fluid change..... and im still not certain what fluid im going to use! LOL
Interestingly enough, after being a hardcore Redline Oil user, on my new T-56 Magnum XL transmission, the Redline Oil was not a wise choice!! During cold operation, the transmission did not want to shift.

I drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil 1 ATF and OMG what a difference!! Cold operation is nice and smooth. I have rediscovered my transmission!!

Long story short, use Mobil 1 ATF. It works!!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
StangLife
Former Sponsor

If you have compressed air:

Cut hole in cap big enough so that your fill hose fits TIGHTLY. Push the fill house in so that it's submerged and almost to the bottom of the bottle.
Poke a second, small hole into the top of the bottle somewhere above the fluid level. Use your compressed air gun in that second hole to create a slight pressure. The fluid comes out FAST, so be ready!

I've done this on rear ends and transmissions, no problem. It's nice that you can do it from under the car (the fluid will travel upwards due to the pressure) and you don't risk spilling anything inside your car.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm, I drained mine completely the other day and put in RP Max ATF. It took about 3.5 quarts, maybe a little more, before it started running out of the fill hole. I did it with a pump that is sold as a fuel siphoning pump. Worked very well.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

So after reading all 12+ pages i'm leaning towards the Mobil 1 synthetic atf.
Seems like the RP is more towards warmer climates since it shifts better when at higher temperature. Mobil 1 is said to shift good at all temps. And i live in Nevada where we have -10 F winters to 110F summer and my mustang being my daily driver i think the Mobil 1 suits my needs a little better. If this was my summer car i'd probably go with the RP.
I also changed my PS fluid with Mobil 1 atf and i feel it's a good fluid for that too.

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid