Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Not having an easy,safe way to get the car up in the air and level,I put my 04 GT on ramps,drained it,pulled the shifter and poured 3.2 quarts into the top.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM
dmdziad7

Default Removing Fill and Drain Plugs

You will need to use an hex key/allen wrench to remove the fill and drain plugs.
Not sure for other years but the 2012 GT's called for 2.75 quarts.
As always, check your owners manual before hand.

Overall, pretty easy job. Others have complained about using a pump. I used a transfer pump and had absolutely no issues. Only took 5 minutes to refill. Secret is to place the oil higher than your trans so it siphons properly.

I changed mine at 30,000 miles and the oil still looked pretty good. I decided to stay with the full synthetic Motorcraft. Shifting definitely feels quite a bit better. Therefore, although the oil didn't look bad I will change again at 60,000 miles.

Let me know if you have questions!
Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 PM
dmdziad7

Great thread/instructions!.
For my 2012 GT I needed to use a hex key/allen wrench to remove the fill and drain plugs.
Not sure for other years but the 2012 GT's called for 2.75 quarts.
As always, check your owners manual before hand.

Overall, pretty easy job. Others have complained about using a pump. I used a transfer pump and had absolutely no issues. Only took 5 minutes to refill. Secret is to place the oil higher than your trans so it siphons properly.

I changed mine at 30,000 miles and the oil still looked pretty good. I decided to stay with the full synthetic Motorcraft. Shifting definitely feels quite a bit better. Therefore, although the oil didn't look bad I will change again at 60,000 miles.

Let me know if you have questions!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM
06StangLou

Hi, new poster here

Just to confirm, it looks like the gearbox fluid change is doable from under the car right? I ask because I have access to a lift and don't want to mess with the interior. I have a V6 and manual box with a bit of noise when it loads up, I am hoping that the RP Synchromax will hell quiet the noise.

Thanks

Lou
Old 12-09-2015, 04:30 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

NOOOOOO do not use the RP in your trans. I would recommend Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or something similar to OEM recommended fluid. Redline ATF is also good. do some searches and read up. RP will eat the synchros over time, as stated by multiple users and trans ppl. 3.2 quarts to the bottom of the fill hole and your good to go. its very simple to change the fluid from under the car. 3/8" ratchet and small extension will remove the plugs no problem. remove the fill plug first just in case its troublesome, then the drain plug. have catch can ready as the fluid is really thin and splashes everywhere, it smells horrible as well. I used a pump to fill once drained. good luck
Old 12-09-2015, 04:40 PM
06StangLou

Thanks for the reply and the confirmation of access.

ATF in a noisy manual box? RP says Synchromax is compatible with yellow metal. I've read on various threads here that RP is doing fine in their manual boxes, apparently you don't agree. Another not is the car has 100K miles and I plan to upgrade soon so at this point I am trying to quiet the growl under load. Box shifts fine, doesn't grind or jump out of gear.

Opinions? Looking for feedback.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

How are the guys going that used the RP Syncro fluid doing?
Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM
monovitae

Originally Posted by Stoenr
How are the guys going that used the RP Syncro fluid doing?
I put RP ATF in mine at 7k and I'm at 65k now about five years later. Run about 10 auto X events a year. Been fine.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I put AMSOIL ATF in my '06 GT 5 speed trans. Works great.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've been using the Mercon in mine with no issues, and there's a fair amount of road course use involved.

It's easy enough to change even if all you have is jackstands. You can fold a narrow strip of paper 90° and use that as a gauge for setting the fluid to 1/2" below the hole.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-26-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid