Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itchy5
Why does Ford recommend filling 1/2" below fill plug and TREMEC recommend filling up to the fill plug

http://xpower-sv.co.uk/images/TR-365...ice_Manual.pdf

page 8
I read somewhere that Ford had changed their recommendation and now say fill to bottom of filler hole. I wish I knew for sure.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetroGT2006
Do you need to change the transmission fluid on an 05+ GT? I haven't gotten under my car in a while but somebody told me that you can't change the transmission fluid. There is no dipstick or anything. Anybody care to verify?
I recommend to get rid of that factory crap fluid!! That factory fluid make the transmission harsh; Red Line Oil D4 ATF makes it smooth as butter, plus eliminates the 2nd and 3rd gear crunch...
Yes, you can change out the fluid, there is a fill plug on the side (passenger side) and a drain plug on the bottom.
Manual transmissions don't have dipsticks... You just remove the fill plug and stick your pinky finger in it and make sure your nail gets coated with fluid.

Last edited by AutoXRacer; 03-03-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I read somewhere that Ford had changed their recommendation and now say fill to bottom of filler hole. I wish I knew for sure.
You need to find that!!! I just swapped my fluid this weekend and just filled it to 1/2" below the fill hole.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
RetroGT2006
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer
I recommend to get rid of that factory crap fluid!! That factory fluid make the transmission harsh; Red Line Oil D4 ATF makes it smooth as butter, plus eliminates the 2nd and 3rd gear crunch...
Yes, you can change out the fluid, there is a fill plug on the side (passenger side) and a drain plug on the bottom.
Manual transmissions don't have dipsticks... You just remove the fill plug and stick your pinky finger in it and make sure your nail gets coated with fluid.
Meant to specify on my post, my 06 GT is a 5spd automatic.. Can is it still the exact same thing, meaning theres a fill plug on the passenger side and a drain plug on the bottom??
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetroGT2006
Meant to specify on my post, my 06 GT is a 5spd automatic.. Can is it still the exact same thing, meaning theres a fill plug on the passenger side and a drain plug on the bottom??
OH NO!!!! Automatics are totally different... They usually have dip sticks and have filters. Usually, you have to take a whole transmission pan/cover off which encases the filter.

I have no clue how to service an automatic transmission... I stay way from those... lol
Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Sweet nice write up! I was curious about the tranny fluid and went to check.. sounds silly but I never found the dip stick for the tranny fluid didn't know that manual didn't have them. lol
Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't sweat to much about the amount you put back in, so long as you can feel it with your pinky finger. I've been running mine since making this post and have had zero problems.

I highly recommend the royal purple synchro stuff. It's been working great and really does make the trans run cooler.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 AM
runner264

Default Question??

Does the car have to be level in order to fill it back up? I have ramps and was wondering if when not level the fluid would pour out the fill hole. Did any of you guys do your change on just ramps? Thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I read somewhere that they were refering to the underfilled
rear diffs that got out of the factory and were sold that way.
I found mine to be low and topped it off up to the filler plug.

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid