Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by runner264
Does the car have to be level in order to fill it back up? I have ramps and was wondering if when not level the fluid would pour out the fill hole. Did any of you guys do your change on just ramps? Thanks
Yes, the vehicle does have to be leveled....
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

I just thought I'd add my $.02 about this since there's SO MUCH misinformation (or simply opinions) floating around here, but after reading a post where someone close to the TTC / Tremec R&D people discovered that anything synthetic would eventually kill syncros and the blocking rings inside of these transmissions, I decided to call Tremec themselves.

To my surprise, it's actually easy to talk to a guy in tech over there, but he specifically recommended MERCON V now (obviously) but also said that Mobil 1 ATF could be used as a slightly higher performing fluid. I replied "oh cool, thanks, so.. I also heard a lot of people were getting good results with the RP synchromax fluids, can I use that stuff too then?" and he just flat-out said "Noooooo, don't want to do that!" So obviously this guy's seen something in his experience that clearly leads him to believe that not all synthetics are the same.
Sure enough..
Mobil 1's website specifically says the fluid is approved: "Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV"

RP simply has an application chart to sell product.

Anyways, I've had bad experiences with the older Mobil1 15w50 stuff in my M3, but from what I understand that product was discontinued anyways and isn't suggestive of their overall quality. I've been running the green label 0-30 in the Mustang for 2 years now and it's performed great (due to the temperature extremes here, below 0 to heat indexes over 110, the 0w30 provides better cold AND hot temp performance than the 5w20 factory specs).

I'll let you know how the Mobil 1 ATF does (oh that's another point, MERCON is technically an ATF fluid, and the RP stuff is technically a manual transmission fluid - might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but that should be a good hint that they are in fact different "types" of fluids)

-Alex

Last edited by TorchedGT; 03-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I put the rp syncromax in my 3650 and it didn't eliminate the 2nd to 3rd gear grind. It also made it nearly impossible to get into gear when its cold out. The stock fluid in my opinion was better than the synchromax. I might try the mobil 1 to see if i can find a winner.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Just changed my oil (M1 0-30) and trans fluid (M1 ATF) and combine that with a 76 degree day today and I'm having all kinds of fun.

The more difficult shifts (like downshifting from 3-2 or 2-1 in parking lots and such), provided much less transmission whine than before. Honestly nothing else JUMPS out at me so far, but in general she's running very smooth right now. I'd like to see if the Mobil 1 prevents occasional 3rd gear lock-outs when shifting from 2nd. That's partially my shift-style at fault, but it's INCREDIBLY ANNOYING if I'm pushing the car or something.

It's a little less awkward going into 5th now too =)

FWIW the factory fluid looked like crap - dark dark brown color, in stark contrast to the bright red of the M1 ATF - so maybe that had something to do with it? My shifts around the parking lots were getting REALLY notchy lately, which is what prompted me to change the fluid in the first place.

I WOULD have had a chance to test it out better - lined up at a 3-lane straight-road red light with 2 sport bikes up front, and a new Porsche Boxster S across from me (we were both behind a sport bike)
...aaaand a county sheriff behind the Boxster (she had previously been behind me, so we had seen her)

Last edited by TorchedGT; 03-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Red Line D4 ATF out performs all of them... The shifting is improved 100% and no more 2nd and 3rd gear grinds... Just shifts smoothly...

No cold or hot weather issues either... D4 ATF is highly popular for Mustangs in competition...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

so is royal purple max atf ok for my manual 09 gt?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

I hear Royal Purple has issues with the synchos...something about it being too slippery causing shifting issues...

Correct me if I'm wrong!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
64cv

Just changed the original factory fluid in my '05 GT 5sp with 58k miles to Royal Purple (RP) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Both the Tremec 3650 manual and the Ford manual say to use ATF with a Dexron III rating in the manual trans. The RP ATF has a Dexron III-H rating. Seems like the III-H is ok in place of the straight III without the suffix. According to this the difference is that the test is run longer. Unless you've already done it, I wouldn't put manual transmission fluid in the S197 GT manual transmission, it's designed for ATF.

By the way, the tremec manual says fill to bottom of the fill hole, not 1/2" below. I know that's different than the Ford manual but it's designed that way so it fills perfect and overflows if you put in too much. I don't think the Tremec guy was against RP; I think he was against using Synchromesh manual fluid.

Before I even moved the car, I noticed it made a huge difference. As soon as I let out the clutch in neutral I noticed the whine was gone. Drove it few blocks and it shifts MUCH better. I'd been getting some clunking in the 1-2 shift, particularly at low temperatures, but it seems to be gone. It's a hot day though so I won't swear to it.

Brad

Last edited by 64cv; 06-26-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: fix hyperlinks
Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
itsgeorge

Default I just called Tremec

I just talked with a tech at Tremec and got some very interesting info from him. I asked about the fill level Ford recommended not being the same as Tremec advises. The tech stated that all the way up to the fill hole is Tremec's
correct full line. When I asked why Ford says different he said Ford was having shifting issues and by only filling the trans to Fords lower fluid level corrected the shifting issues.[yea right] That was Ford's fix. But Tremec was still advising to add fluid all the way to the fill hole. I then asked about royal purple,No,No Never! He said Mobil 1 atf was ok, but RP would cause trouble in the long run.
Well thats from the horse's mouth.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
itsgeorge

BTW,,, I own a stock 2008 Gt with a manual trans.I have been driving sticks all my life. I am 58 years old, and the first thing I noticed when I was test driving the Mustangs was all the sticks felt just not quite right. I must say I have experienced all the shifting troubles that everyone else has. I had it to the dealer and they said its fine. This car shift's fine at times but not all the time.1 to 2nd grind at times, 2nd to 3rd grind at times. Ford said if they can't duplicate the problem they can't fix it. I think a better shifter would fix a lot of whats going on with our cars.

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid