Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stang vs. nissan gtr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: stang vs. nissan gtr?

Sorry SCG but you cant bash the Ford GT just because it's Ford. It is renowned as one of the best supercars. maybe not the fastest, but one of the best. And as for the GT-R...There are really not going to be that many driving around so I am not going to worry. Only nerdy kids in high-school like those cars because they were the best cars in a video-game. 1/100th of those kids will be able to afford one. They look like a 350z, g35, g37, altima etc... alright looking cars but they all look the same.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

^ WHERE did I bash the Ford GT??? I love the Ford GT.

And the stigma you applied to the people who like GT-R owners is just like the stigma-

Mustang drivers are a bunch of toothless, ignorant, mullet rocking hillbillies.....[&o]
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Already there have been stories of rich kids plastering TT Supras, Audis, BMW M5 and M3's, STi/WRX's all over the news. This car will end up the same, bad rap. Because some retarded 18 year old kid took his dad/mom's new toy out to show off for his/her friends. Which is a shame really, because, even if it is a Nissan, a really well engineered car.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

^ And you don't think countless Mustang's are wrecked by stupid teens???

Dumb kids will wreck cars no matter what they are. The badge on the front has nothing to do w/ driver skill.....
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scg87

^ And you don't think countless Mustang's are wrecked by stupid teens???

Dumb kids will wreck cars no matter what they are. The badge on the front has nothing to do w/ driver skill.....
I did a little analysis just to actually find out what the real numbers are. the BMW 3series/M3, Imprezas & Accords were specifically listed with higher (6-8%) fatality rates than that of Volvos ("traditional "Saftey" cars"). Also SUVs had high kill rates as well...for obvious reasons. I had a hard time finding out actual numbers since the NHTSA lists most accidets by Type and not Model specific (passager, SUV, truck, light truck, semi, ect).
I'm not going to say that mustangs aren't wrecked by stupid teens, I'm sure they are. Going off of local trends here (CT) 14 Subaru Imreza WRX/STi accidents. Just in this town. Mustangs=0. All the drivers were between the ages of 16-22 and after midnight. Then you have the news/youtube videos of Hulk Hogan's son and that yellow TT Supra, the 08 BMW M5, The Audi A3 and countless others. Just now, two families in Wallingford, CT are suing the town because their two sons were killed in a 07 Nissan 350z because they were going 75mph in a 35mph work zone and were killed when they lost control at around 1am. With the new GT-R having that heafty price tag on it. You aren't going to be too likely to see it being plastered up on youtube till like I said, some kid takes their parent's new toy for a joy ride at night.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scg87

...Or paying 150-250K for a Ford. None of the three are premier, upscale brands. None have aura and mystique applied to their manufacturer badge alone. All three are commonplace, everday brands.
What your saying is because it's a Ford, it's not a great car. Just because it's a Ford...

Almost every car company have a bucket load of bad to alrightcars, and they have select few that are better then the rest..

Chevrolet - Corvette
Ford - GT
Dodge - Viper
Nissan - GT-R
Even Honda - NSX

Just because it's Ford or Chevrolet doesnt mean its a bad car...

Oh, and the aftermarket for the Skyline GT-R is pretty big, but how big is it going to be for a car that is going to be so rare?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

well.. since we already beat it in the looks department... (I know a lot of people like the gtr looks).. you'd probably be looking at a modaddict setup and blow it away.. at the track what times were they saying? high tens? so.. atleast building the motor+F/I andsuspension.. andmore.. but im sure you could beat it in the 1/4 with less than1/2 as much money as it would cost to own one.. but it doesseem like a great car to have..
Erm you are forgetting something the 4wd lol. It can hit high 10's easily with its daily driving tires not drag radials or nothing. Also you are expecting the GT-R to be stock, a fully modded gt-r I sadly think will be out of our league in the street.

Andrew
Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if you see a GT-R on the road, it probably won't be modded and definitely will not be near as capable as it is ata track. Nissan went to great lengths to make sure owners didn't abuse these cars. They are all equipped with GPS systems that allow Nissan to know if the car is at a track or not. The GT-R's tune somewhat hinders the car, there's a conservative rev limiter, etc. to "unlock" the car to be track ready, the GPS has to recognize you're at a Nissan approved track. if you leave the track, it locks itself again. also, if you unlock the car at a track, you have 24 hours to take the car back to a Nissan Dealership for them to give it a "check-up" for $1000. they also have the wheels hooked up to the ecu and if it recognizes aftermarket rims, it'll throw codes and won't perform right. same with the tires. there's a lot of these things. this car hates mods and it hates roads. if you meet one at a track with the tune unlocked, then be scared... otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much.

regardless, the conservative tune will still give us a run on the street easily, but if you have a low 12/high 11 second car, it'd probably be close.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Care to link us on that Texotic? You have got to be frickin kidding me.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
haproot

ORIGINAL: Texotic

if you see a GT-R on the road, it probably won't be modded and definitely will not be near as capable as it is ata track. Nissan went to great lengths to make sure owners didn't abuse these cars. They are all equipped with GPS systems that allow Nissan to know if the car is at a track or not. The GT-R's tune somewhat hinders the car, there's a conservative rev limiter, etc. to "unlock" the car to be track ready, the GPS has to recognize you're at a Nissan approved track. if you leave the track, it locks itself again. also, if you unlock the car at a track, you have 24 hours to take the car back to a Nissan Dealership for them to give it a "check-up" for $1000. they also have the wheels hooked up to the ecu and if it recognizes aftermarket rims, it'll throw codes and won't perform right. same with the tires. there's a lot of these things. this car hates mods and it hates roads. if you meet one at a track with the tune unlocked, then be scared... otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much.

regardless, the conservative tune will still give us a run on the street easily, but if you have a low 12/high 11 second car, it'd probably be close.
Um.. i call BS. Total BS

Quick Reply: stang vs. nissan gtr?