Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tensioner pulley dieing! Have some questions...

Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
MC Stang
1st Gear Member

Default Tensioner pulley dieing! Have some questions...

My tensioner pulley is making all kinds of rattling and metallic clicking noises and I am pretty certain it is dieing. I've never changed one of these before, how do you release the tensioner arm? Is a special tool needed? Once the tensioner arm is loose do you just unbolt the pulley, and are either of these reverse thread?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tensioner pulley dieing! Have some questions...

loosen of the bolt on the tensioner a bit then push it down. You can do it with a rachet extension ro get in there easier.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

1/2 " breaker bar really helps to
move the tensioner arm down,
then you can slip the belt off the
alternator with the other hand

Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

My tensioner pulley is starting to squeak on me.. Or maybe it's the idler.. I don't know. Either way, one of those is squeaking. Where can a replacement be had? Is it a dealer only part, or is there anyone who makes a higher-quality aftermarket one??
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need a 1/2 inch rachet with a pipe or breaker bar to attach to the tensioner arm in order to release the tension. Push on your rachet and slip the belt off the alternator. Once you remove the belt you can slowly release pressure on your rachet and then just unbolt the tensioner. 3 bolts, 18 foot lbs when reinstalling it.

How do you know the noise is coming from your tensioner? There's really not much there to fail.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I don't know if you were talking to me or the OP, but mine is a squeaking that goes away as it warms up. I've stuck my head under there SEVERAL times when it was cold and listened. It's definitely coming from the passenger side. Beyond that, I'm guessing it's the tensioner or idler, since the only other supercharged S197 around here locally has also had tensioner issues..
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
MC Stang
1st Gear Member

Moosestang:

Thanks for the advice on releasing the belt tension. I am 90%+ certain that it is the idler pulley because I used an automotive stethoscope to isolate where the source of the noise was coming from while the engine was running. The noise through the stethoscope was much louder from the tensioner pulley, you could actually hear the metal “grating” within the pulley. The other pulleys where much quieter, though the idler pulley was a little noisy, I’m thinking of replacing it also while I’m at it.

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You need a 1/2 inch rachet with a pipe or breaker bar to attach to the tensioner arm in order to release the tension. Push on your rachet and slip the belt off the alternator. Once you remove the belt you can slowly release pressure on your rachet and then just unbolt the tensioner. 3 bolts, 18 foot lbs when reinstalling it.

How do you know the noise is coming from your tensioner? There's really not much there to fail.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
MC Stang
1st Gear Member

I changed the tensioner pulley last night, it was a breeze. Thanks for the help guys it made it easy.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MC Stang

I changed the tensioner pulley last night, it was a breeze. Thanks for the help guys it made it easy.
WHERE DID YOU GET IT?!?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: MC Stang

WHERE DID YOU GET IT?!?
I don't know if he swapped the stock tensioner pulley or the whole tensioner, but you can actually use a 90mm idler pulley on the tensioner. Whipple has you do this with the 10psi pulley and replace your 90mm idler pulley with the 100mm that comes with the kit. All that does is take up more slack from the belt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tensioner pulley dieing! Have some questions...