Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cleaning Filter/MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning Filter/MAF

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer
I agree and a further note would be that it could leave a residue on the MAF sensor and give incorect readings.
What kind of brake cleaner leaves a residue? That would totally defeat the purpose of brake cleaner.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

You'd be surprised........have you never seen a window cleaner leave a residue on windows? that kinda defeats the purpose too[&:] At work we have procedures to cleanmultiple times with differentcleaners to elliviate any residue's or contamination left by the first cleaner. Clean a fish tank with windex fill it with water put fish in it and watch them die due to the ammonia residue left on the glass.Maybe no residue or very little residue is left on the brakes but that little bit of residue can cause issue's with sensors such as a MAF. Personally I think brake cleaner is for brakes while MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaners serve thier purpose as well and thats the only way I would clean those parts.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

All I can say is ... wow.... I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N and sprayed the MAF as well as cleaned the throttle body butterflies and around in there with brake cleaner... the difference after that was amazing... and the crazy thing is the filter wasn't even really dirty... a buddy of mine was giving me crap cuz he said im **** when it doesn't even need it, but he drove it and was amazed himself. I'd highly suggest anyone feeling like the stang is a bit sluggish to do this quick fix, took me about 30 minutes because im picky, and what a difference... Make sure to disconnect the battery cable so the computer can re-learn the airflow etc....
What kind of brake cleaner did you use? If its not safe for throttle bodies you may have hurt it. There is a coating(i believe teflon) on the butterfly's that gets eaten away when using things like brake cleaner that isnt safe for it.
I'm pretty sure it's fine. I know a lot of people have used brake cleaner to clean the throttle body, and I don't see it being a problem. Any trace of the brake cleaner thats leftover would just evaporate. Nonetheless, like I said, I've talked and read about a lot of people using brake cleaner to clean the TB, and to this day haven't heard of any problems. But thanks for the concern..
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So in other words, you don't know what brake cleaners leave a residue, if any. I've never seen a window that could stop 2 tons either.

I hardly think windex is comparible to brake cleaner, but if I clean my fish tank with brake cleaner and the fish doesn't die, I guess you could say there's no residue. I have several fish tanks and i'm willing to sacrifice some fry to prove a point.

If you must use a cleaner to clean inside a fish tank, then please use bleach and water and rinse well.

Hey Derek, I cleaned my throttle body 9,000 miles ago with brake cleaner, soaked the biotch and have not had any problems. I'm not so sure of this teflon coating that was mentioned, i'm even less sure what purpose it would serve.

You'd be surprised........have you never seen a window cleaner leave a residue on windows? that kinda defeats the purpose too[&:] At work we have procedures to cleanmultiple times with differentcleaners to elliviate any residue's or contamination left by the first cleaner. Clean a fish tank with windex fill it with water put fish in it and watch them die due to the ammonia residue left on the glass.Maybe no residue or very little residue is left on the brakes but that little bit of residue can cause issue's with sensors such as a MAF. Personally I think brake cleaner is for brakes while MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaners serve thier purpose as well and thats the only way I would clean those parts.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

So in other words, you don't know what brake cleaners leave a residue, if any. I've never seen a window that could stop 2 tons either.

I hardly think windex is comparible to brake cleaner, but if I clean my fish tank with brake cleaner and the fish doesn't die, I guess you could say there's no residue. I have several fish tanks and i'm willing to sacrifice some fry to prove a point.

If you must use a cleaner to clean inside a fish tank, then please use bleach and water and rinse well.

Hey Derek, I cleaned my throttle body 9,000 miles ago with brake cleaner, soaked the biotch and have not had any problems. I'm not so sure of this teflon coating that was mentioned, i'm even less sure what purpose it would serve.

Dude do as you wish I could really care less I just tried to put out info that had been suggested on this and other forums in the past.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Its not the TB I was concerned with.I was referinf to the MAF. I have personally seen brake cleaner ruin a MAF that had been fine before. Twice in fact. Once on my Tacoma and once on my fox body
Old 05-20-2008, 05:19 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

EDIT: Cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ht-code-p0171/

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

Its not the TB I was concerned with.I was referinf to the MAF. I have personally seen brake cleaner ruin a MAF that had been fine before. Twice in fact. Once on my Tacoma and once on my fox body
While I have cleaned my MAF many times in the past with brake cleaner, i did pick up a can of MAF cleaner just to see the difference. I saw no difference, but I'd just like to point out that there are posts suggesting to use brake cleaner and a Q-tip to clean the fragile wireing of the MAF. I'm sure you didn't use a Q-tip or touch the MAF with any other object, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone broke theirs with a Qtip and blamed the brake cleaner.

I think those instructions were on a tacoma forum, it was definately some truck forum. I'm in no way suggesting anyone use brake cleaner to clean anything other than brake components. By all means buy the $6 can of MAF cleaner.

Anyone wonder why MAF cleaner is almost 6 times the cost of brake cleaner? I don't think it's because it's so complicated to produce.

Anyway, do not touch the MAF with anything, just spray it and let it dry.

Most people do not think twice about the MAF until they start having problems or get a code. Then they try cleaning it, maybe with brake fluid, and later it needs to be replaced. Jump to conclusion, the cleaner destroyed it, but in reality it was allready on it's way out.

I would really like to hear from some other ford Techs as to what they use to clean MAF's. Atleast one has said all they have is brake cleaner. I know Ford just likes to replace parts though.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I always use starting fluid as a cleaner. Just make sure you don't smoke around it when using it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM
MC Stang
1st Gear Member

Guys, never cleaneda MAF or Throttle Body before. Starting with the MAF, after disconnecting the air filter should I disconnect the MAF too (unplug it)? Disconnect the battery, too? And then does one just spray the inside of the MAF?

For the TB, I bought a can of TB cleaner, so just spray the butterflys and around there? And disconnect the battery for that, too?

Any advice or direction is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You might want to remove the throttle body to clean it, it's not that hard. As for the MAF. I simply unplug it and remove it from the intake. Spray it out at a downward angle and let it dry for a few seconds. I've never disconnected the battery to remove it.

Most TB cleaners will leave a residue, just so you know.

ORIGINAL: MC Stang

Guys, never cleaneda MAF or Throttle Body before. Starting with the MAF, after disconnecting the air filter should I disconnect the MAF too (unplug it)? Disconnect the battery, too? And then does one just spray the inside of the MAF?

For the TB, I bought a can of TB cleaner, so just spray the butterflys and around there? And disconnect the battery for that, too?

Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Filter/MAF