Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...

Sorry I didn't post up sooner guys, I've been REAL busy at work this week.

First off, my tensioner was bentsoI got a new tensioner with a thick steelsupport plate installed over there, all good now.

I got the tune straightened out too, runs excellent! Went for a couple of rides with Jim Sr. until it was the way I wanted. Now shifts are perfect, idle and rev are ultra smooth and power delivery feels right on. We did not dyno the car, all tuning and adjustments were done with their handheldreader while on the road and subsequent tripsback to the shop. I'll get to an independent dyno soon and run the tune against my VMP tune again and post up.

Lastly,I spoke to them about the oil in the inlet tube i was getting. They agreed it was probably from the passenger side PCV hose. Here's the thing. They were real adamant about not using my drivers side oil catch can either! Both Sr. and Jr. told me the Saleen blower should have some oil get into it. They went on to say the oil does 2 things. It both lubricates the rotors and also provides a better seal of the rotors to the case increasing efficiency and HP. They cautioned that no oil getting in there could cause the rotors to gouge the case, resulting in even a poorer seal and subsequent loss of HP. They said they've seen scratched cases b/c of this.

I mentioned that I've seen some pictures of people's intercoolers coated with oil on these forums and others and how i didn;t think that was good for efficiency. They agreed there would be some oil contamination and they understood my concern but they went on to say thatthey knew alot of people were using the catch cans, but every car they ever built did not have one on it, and that Saleen, and even Whipple, does not recommend one. They recommended just cleaning the intercooler every 40K miles or so (which would be every 10 years for me the way I drive this car).

In the end they said of course it was my car and I could do what I wanted but they would remove it for the above reasons. For now it's still on, but I won't be adding one on the passenger side until i come to a decision about what I'm going to do. I may take their advice and remove my drivers side one, but for now the car runs awesome! Can't wait for a track day!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...

Rob, good read man! I'm on the fences but I do not have one yet and it is a low priority mod for me. It's great to have a good local shop isn't it?.. All in all good stuff.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

nice Rob......

I emailed you about another rental day as well!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Good stuff and I enjoyed hearing about the catch can. Always good to hear another approach. I drive about 2500mi avarage a year and if I have to remove and clean every 5 years or so for my matinance thing, so be it.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Very veryinteresting read thanks for posting.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My driver side is OEM but the passenger has a switch that shuts of at 1 psi so blow thru doesn't go through. I pulled the hose the other day and there was no residue at all in it. I guess it works.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

How did you rig up a switch to shut it at 1 PSI? I'd be very interested in hearing about that, I get an inordinate amount of oil coming from the passenger side..
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I find it very, very, very hard to believe that saleen or whipple designed their superchargers to utilize oil blow by from the crankcase. I've read Jims opiinion about the catch cans on m0dularf0rds.com.

I don't take anything jdm says as gospel either.[:'(] They don't exactly have a perfect reputation, maybe if brenspeed said it.

Did you ever take your hose off the passenger side cover and look inside it? If there isn't any oil in the hose, then that's not where it's coming from.

I'm sure whipples opinion is that it's not necessary, but I doubt that they don't recommend it.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

First off, my tensioner was bentsoI got a new tensioner with a thick steelsupport plate installed over there, all good now.
How did you bend your tensioner? At 10PSI? How did you know it was bent?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

There is actually a thread on another forum asking JDM to explain their comments and they haven't responded yet. Personally, I don't understand their thinking at all. Hell, the KB kits now come with a catch can set-up...

There is no way any blower is set-up to be lubricated from blow by from the crankcase. If they were talking about a crankcase evacuation set-up like the GM's, I could understand some concerns as you could suffer detrimental problems if you pull too much pressure, but again, this woud have nothing to do with the blower rotors either so I don't know where they are coming up with this thinking...

Quick Reply: Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...