Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mods VS Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default Mods VS Warranty

I'm assuming ANY mods done to the engine/drivetrain will void your warranty, but please let me know if I'm wrong.
I'd love to put a supercharger in, but have heard a stock 4.6 doesn't handle it well, and I don't want to scrap my warranty if
something were to go wrong.

Any ideas? What can you get away with for more HP without voiding warranty?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mods VS Warranty

it all depends on how big of an a**hole your dealership is. some will void your warranty for putting on a CAI. my dealership told me that i could put on a S/C and nitrous and they would honor my warranty but that is only b/c i know the manager and they all love my car

in most cases, a dealership will not void your warranty unless they believe that the mods you have are directly related to the problem in need of service. ie, they will say that having an SCT program could be involved in transmission work or what-not.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mac10chap
they will say that having an SCT program could be involved in transmission work or what-not.

That is why I got a Predator ( sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Ok... Im a tech at a dealership....

You can mod the crap out of youre car and the dealership cant VOID youre warranty. If you put a S/C and you crack a piston or melt it then you pay for a new engine. They cant void it.... If you put an aftermarket part on and its directly involved in the part that failed then you pay. Not youre warranty company. Understand??

The 3 valve 05 Gt can withstand some serious HP. I'd say just a low boost S/C you would be ok with. But if you start pushing serious HP then dont expect youre engine to keep up. Thats all..
Old 04-28-2005, 09:58 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

but casper, is it not true that if they wanted to be a dick about it, they could say that certain mods are related to (or could be related to) certain internal problems needing work and therefore make you pay for it instead of honoring your warranty???

maybe a slight miscommunication, by VOID, i was referring to the fact that they will not pay for the work...not VOID your entire warranty
Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

but casper, is it not true that if they wanted to be a dick about it, they could say that certain mods are related to (or could be related to) certain internal problems needing work and therefore make you pay for it instead of honoring your warranty???
Well they have to prove it thats all.. They cant just make up stuff.... Well they can if you dont know anything about cars. But if you know about cars and they try to pull something over just correct them and they will feel like a huge jackass. Also im sure you have more than one FORD dealer... if one is a "dick" then go to another.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

does an aftermarket exhaust void the warranty?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

lol.... NO.

Aftermarket Exhaust would only better performance, lets the engine breath better. Also i cant even think of any problem that could occur with aftermarket exhaust.... Well catback that is.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:36 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

lol.... NO.

Aftermarket Exhaust would only better performance, lets the engine breath better. Also i cant even think of any problem that could occur with aftermarket exhaust.... Well catback that is.
I just don't want to give the reason to be lil beotches!

What's a decent price for an exhaust, installed?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

you can get a catback for like 300

Quick Reply: Mods VS Warranty