Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 Mustang GT auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Mustang GT auto Transmission

Weak points are input shaft and 3rd gear. From what I can tell your good up to about 500 flywheel, then you're pushing it.

I'm probably about 440 fwhp with 25K miles and I'm OK.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

they can handle up to 470rwhp
Mine went at 445RWHP so that fact is not true at all.

It's bulletproof.
Total BS

And Larry's transmission in CA has an "upgrade" the the AUTO trans
I dont know who Larry is but Level 10 has an upgraded 5R55s transmission and I have run one for almost two years.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I don't know how much HP you plan on running but the auto trans can handle plenty of abuse. I'm at least 500bhp and so far so good. I changed to Amsoil fluid and that's about it. 3rd gear is a "weak" spot from other that I've heard since this is what usually goes first. Others have snapped their input shaft too, but most running F/I have not had a problem up to 450hp or so.

There are really only 3 options to upgrade the tranny. You can have yours rebuilt by Tony at Larry's Transmissions in CA. They use a new hardened input shaft too. You could could get an upgraded unit at Level 10 or TCI too. Level 10 seems to be the most money, then TCI and finally Larry transmissions but the shipping to the East coast from CAis costly.

Also, the tune your running, of course, seems to have an effect on the tranny life.Several auto trans cars per week come out of JDM in NJ pushing my level of HP and more and you rarely ever hear of their tranny's going, or their motors for that matter. I know they have spent years tuning their auto trans cars and I will be going back to their tune this week (revised Email tune coming over today). I have to say, although the hp may have been slightly less than my current VMP tune, the engine and tranny never felt as good as it did when I had JDM's tune in there.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

they can handle up to 470rwhp
Mine went at 445RWHP so that fact is not true at all.

It's bulletproof.
Total BS

And Larry's transmission in CA has an "upgrade" the the AUTO trans
I dont know who Larry is but Level 10 has an upgraded 5R55s transmission and I have run one for almost two years.

Like anything, it may have it's limits. Abuse, lack of maintenance can and do shorten anythings life. The term bulletproof usually means it is dependable and won't fly apart on you under normal driving, and may include some spirited driving. I didn't mean you could literally fire a slug into it, although, it may deflect certain caliber rounds.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
jimei
I ♥ Acer

www.Jordan9.com discount cheap nike jordan gucci prada shoes lacoste puma trainers at china factory
Welcome to visit www.jordan9.com,We are a professional shoes and sneaker Industrialcompany, and as af(www.guccisneaker.com) amous nike shoes factory & Stores and wholesale company.(www.google.com)
Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
jimei
I ♥ Acer

www.Jordan9.com discount cheap nike jordan gucci prada shoes lacoste puma trainers at china factory
Welcome to visit www.jordan9.com,We are a professional shoes and sneaker Industrialcompany, and as af(www.guccisneaker.com) amous nike shoes factory & Stores and wholesale company.(www.google.com)
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jimei

Peddle your wares somewhere else you freakin moron.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking about a re-build from Larry's transmissions, however I live in the mid-west a Larry's is about 2k miles from me. Has anyone had there trans. rebuilt by them that lives else where. I can't remove my own trans. and I don't know a trans. shop who would remove it let your car sit at there business while someone else rebuild your trans.It sounds like he does a good rebuild, but how do you get your trans. to him.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

The stock auto trans is good. Also remember when auto trannies do fail they dont break apart like manuals they just burn the clutches and disks and so on. You just get a rebuild kit and thats it.

Andrew
Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM
pita1992

Seems like it might vary. Ive had a few come into work before that I could have sworn had a 4r70w. A guy asked this same Nike Shox ONine question about a week ago. I called a 4r70w. Most of the others say a 4r75w. Best way to find out is check the code on the white sticker inside your door. Itll be under TR.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang GT auto Transmission