Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whats the point in shifting with an automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the point in shifting with an automatic??

Maybe on the straight track, but for autoX I'll bet my money on the guy with the manual (all else being relatively equal).
Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smokestang

The stock auto has proven to be fastest from a dig by simply leaving it in "D" and letting it do its thing! you cant tell me anybody shifts this tight-*** factory shifter with any real precision! maybe with a ractchet shifter....but even then my money is on the computer! if it can bark 2nd & 3rd in Drive its shifting itself pretty damn good. I occasionaly manuallydownshift to 3rd for decel purposes, but thats about all.
Amen brotha!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Maybe on the straight track, but for autoX I'll bet my money on the guy with the manual (all else being relatively equal).
I guess you are not old enough to remember when Automatic Z51 C4 Corvettes ruled at the Nationals.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have a manual and I do enjoy shifting the car. But if I spent serious time at the drag strip I would have been better served with an auto. The consistency just can't be beat and modern auto transmissions shift very fast. Plus there are times when driving around town where it helps to have the use of your right hand.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:08 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

...The auto is great for cruising and shifting makes it more fun but I didn't have alot of highway/
traffic time in the future,I would have gotten one instead of the auto...
Why do people always bring up the traffic/city thing when talking about auto versus stick? I drive every day on La-La freeways that are constantly stop-and-go. There is nothing more fun than the stick - imagine being able to accelerate any time you want with full control and downshift/engine-decel as well. I see auto-tranny folks (mostly Chargers and other junk) need to leave themselves a much bigger cushion in front and behind to allow room to maneuver.

Sure my left knee may ache after an hour or so in stop-and-go. Who cares? The fun factor more than makes up for it. Besides, I can rev up to the limiter any time I want rather than the auto shifting if I don't move the auto shifter to a lower gear.

IMO paddle shifters (and the 'manumatic' crap) are an absolute joke. No-one ever uses them anyway as far asI can tell.

dbspcl
2007 GT tungsten-grey coupe stick, IUP, etc.

move: JLT CAI, Brenspeed 87 tune, 4.10 rear, Steeda tri-ax
grip: Eibach springs + adj. panhard, 20" Foose black nitrous, Nitto ZR's
look: Roush quarter louvers, Webelectric sequentials, CDC billet upper/lower
hear: FRPP GTA's
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
grimreaper

Not to mention the HP loss you get going through the converter.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Because it's fun.[8D]

But yeah, if I'm racing, I'll stick it in D. I'm not going to be able to outshift my automatic-T in a race.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

...I guess you are not old enough to remember when Automatic Z51 C4 Corvettes ruled at the Nationals.
Oh, I'm old enough alright. Probably don't (can't?) remember because of my age (actually, I didn't follow racing much).
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

I agree on the acceleration side... automatic will outshift manual tranny all day....
[sm=wtf.gif]

You've GOT to be kidding! Obviously, you don't have much experience with manual trannys.

Sorry Nuke. I have to agree with him since it's been proven at the track many, many times.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

I agree on the acceleration side... automatic will outshift manual tranny all day....
[sm=wtf.gif]

You've GOT to be kidding! Obviously, you don't have much experience with manual trannys.

Obviously you don't get out much... it's proven time and time again at the track. I've driven manual trannys for 25yrs (and still have one), great on CA Highway 1, and agree more fun... Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Quick Reply: Whats the point in shifting with an automatic??