Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DIY: HOW TO INSTALL SALEEN VI S/C (tutorial, pics, & vids)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY: HOW TO INSTALL SALEEN VI S/C (tutorial, pics, & vids)

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: scramblr

ORIGINAL: Black GT

It's not bad but bigger pictures are worth a lot more IMO

Brenspeed sells 39# injectors not 38#.

Saleen can not stress enough "DO NOT touch the stop bolt". When the supercharger's are put together the stop bolt is placed in the right position when the unit is put together. Saleen said they need to be perfect to get full boost. You can see the butterfly valve in this picture. My unit from saleen had the butterfly valve very loose took me 6 months to get the guts to remove the intercooler tightend the two screws on the butterfly valve and no more sticking valve.

More info: Most suggestreplacing the saleen idler pulley and using the stock 90mm idler you have left over on the install to improve belt wrap.

I didn't see if you had to break the tab on the tensioner arm to allow the belt to be installed easier.

Just some more information .. Other wise nice post.

Where do they stress this? In Saleen's installation instructions on page 34, step 17says to note the position of the bypass nut on the bypass stop bolt and to remove the bolt from the manifold. This is so that you can tighten the passenger side back manifold mounting bolt (tight space with limited access). Then on page 35, step 24 says to re-install the bypass stop bolt to its original position.

[sm=exactly.gif]
Exactly what? I called saleen and that is what they told me. (maybe saleen tech support is full of bull$hit!) I beleive them.. I said my nut moved and how do I figure out how to set it correctly... I still don't understand the point your trying to make.... Call them up and ask them... The note in the saleen instructions didn't sound like it was done with precision accuracy like saleen told me on the phone.

People can do whatever they like but I had months of headaches. On the dyno we screwed the boltin lost boost screwed it out gained boost, screwed it in more lost boost it was a massive headache. So for those that remove the bolt more power to you…

........ and people wonder why some have less boost then others on the same setup... maybe it has a littlesomething to do with it???
So you called them about a SC that was already installed and had the nut move? I could see where they would tell you not to mess with it if the SC is already installed.

However, this thread is about how to install the SC, not how to troubleshoot a moved nut. The installation instructions clearly state to remove the bypass stop bolt then later re-install it to its original position (you don't adjust/move the nut during the procedure).

Let me see if I understand what you just posted here. Please correct me if im wrong. If people who did the install themselves ran into a problem not to post it for others to see?

I'm sorry I'm not a mechanic but I did my own install and ran into a headache. I will try and refrain from posting problems I ran into and posting the advise saleen gave me.

edit; and my stop bolt had a small dab of yellow paint, no putty thenut moved as I pulled the stop-bolt out which is why I just tossed it in the bag, thinking I would remember the way it was.. ... Please read the threads I posted to educate yourself a little more. What would it hurt? But I'm done posting in this thead as people trying to give a "heads up" just aren't appreciated !!
I did read your threads and can you explain which step says to cut the stop bolt like you did? That one isn't in my Saleen instruction manual. Nor is adjusting the bracket.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
pats

Great write up crazy.I hope to put a saleen on my car in the future-either myself or brenspeed, I have yet to decide.Your write up-especially the dilemna/solution bits should show a lot of people with limited mechanicall ability that jobs such as this can be done-just take ones time,think it through and if possible test fit everything before hand, if possible.As an industrial millwright/mechanic,I have learned many of the little lessons you did.Some tips, for anybody, based on my approach to some issues-whenever possible,always start,or fully thread in a bolt/screw by hand first-if it doesn't thread in easily there may be an issue-take your time an investigate!When available-manual,manual,manual:and NEVER be afraid to ask for help or input.In closing,I concur that this should be a sticky,and ranks up ther with tacobills stuff.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Exactly what? I called saleen and that is what they told me. (maybe saleen tech support is full of bull$hit!) I beleive them.. I said my nut moved and how do I figure out how to set it correctly... I still don't understand the point your trying to make.... Call them up and ask them... The note in the saleen instructions didn't sound like it was done with precision accuracy like saleen told me on the phone.

People can do whatever they like but I had months of headaches. On the dyno we screwed the boltin lost boost screwed it out gained boost, screwed it in more lost boost it was a massive headache. So for those that remove the bolt more power to you…

........ and people wonder why some have less boost then others on the same setup... maybe it has a littlesomething to do with it???
Sevenleaf, I totally understand you. The biggest part of the install are the little things that go wrong and the fixes needed to get back on track. I respect and know of what you have gone through with your set up particularly the bottom end.So your talking from experience.

Your points are well taken. That nut on the stop bolt affects your boost vacuum. The goal is not to get it loose from its factory position. But if it does, you have to know where that nut seats, mark it, and plug it after.