Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rattling Noise from Under Car

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
nymustangGT

Default RE: Rattling Noise from Under Car

I have the same prob , been driving the car like this for 4 months now and I just havent had the time to look under even though many have told the car is fine. anyways im gonna take a look today I think the sound is from the cover thats near the clutch i think some guys on the forum took the bolts out and placed rubber washers and it worked fine . btw 2008 mustang w/ 18k miles 5 speed . I dont think the car should be making these noises.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I had my separator plate replaced per the TSB, but it still buzzes...especially in colder temps.

I have a piece of a rubber hose wedged between the oilpan and the plate to dampen the noise. I am eventually going to fix it for good...somehow.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

I hope it's not the clutch. I don't believe it is as it is getting worse and I can now hear it at idle. Do the cats have some sort of baffles in them that could have broken loose somehow? It really sounds like it is coming from the passenger side cat, top-side. Iguess I will have to pull the exhaust from the headers back and fire it up to see if the noise is still ther. Of course when I do that I will also be able to hear if anything is loose in the cats themselves....
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Weirdest thing. I had a 100 mile drive home yesterday and when I first started the sound was getting so bad that I thought about stopping and getting a tow, butI just slowed down to 55 and kept on chugging. When I was about 20 miles from home, I met up with 2 'vettes and a BMW, so speed slowly increased and I shifted into 4th just to stay in the powerband. I wasn't really paying attention to the noise but when I got off the highway togo to my house, the sound was gone (while running revving, and at idle). Today, for the entire 100 mile trip back up north, no sound at all. I guess I will see what happens during the 100 mile trip back home tonight.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Well,I had my car at dealer all day and we could not duplicate the noise. Left the dealer for home and asI was pulling into the garage I shut my radio off and had windows down and it was making the noise......... just my luck
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I would be willing to bet money that is the mid section hanger rod pushed up against the transmission support bracket like was mentioned earlier. If the rod is not centered in the rubber isolator gromet it will make all kinds of noise. I had the same problem after we reinstalled the transmission.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

I would be willing to bet money that is the mid section hanger rod pushed up against the transmission support bracket like was mentioned earlier. If the rod is not centered in the rubber isolator gromet it will make all kinds of noise. I had the same problem after we reinstalled the transmission.
Got a pic of that so i know what I am looking for?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Noise update - the rattling noisemoved to thepassenger side muffler yesterday. Raining today, so I cannot pull to check itout at this time.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I wonder if we have the same problem....

From inside, mine really sounds like something in the suspension, but I can't duplicate it when I am outside of the car by pushing down on the corners or front end of the car.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

I had my car at the dealership today and all they could come up with was that I need to run a few tanks of 93 octane through it because I had a little bit of bad gas that kept mixing with the new gas i've been putting in and throwing off the octane rating.

I'm seriously doubtful about this one seeing as the issue has been going on for upwards of 6 months now, but hell, i'll give it a shot. Anyone know if there's any way that maybe water is getting into my gas tank and screwing with the gas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling Noise from Under Car