Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cam Phaser Limiters from Comp Cam

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default Cam Phaser Limiters from Comp Cam

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...alve_cams.html

A lot of you might have already read this article about comp cams new phaser limiters. But I was wondering if people think its really nessesary to put these on if your running a stage 1 or 2 VSR cam. I've read this article a couple times now it it really seems that there not going to really do anything for the more mild cams and that they are really made for the aggresive cams like stage 3s comp cams for built engines.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Lt. Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cam Phaser Limiters from Comp Cam

That is correct. NSR cams do not require them, besides, your bottom end torque and power will suffer if you do use them. Otherwise, for VSR and more aggressive grinds, yes, you want to use them as the risk of kissing a piston is greater. If comp cams indicates they are required in their spec sheet, then do it. If they say they are not required, believe it.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I had the same question about my FRPP Hot Rod Cams that are NSR. I called Ford Racing and they said the same thing. No lockout or phase limiters were recommended.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Well in the VSR cams that I'm getting it only states to change springs. Here is the cam that I'm getting installed, do I need the limiters? Even if I don't NEED them will it do any good putting them on?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=FRD3VCK
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If you do get the lockouts then why get the VSR cams and not the SPR???
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Lt. Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

They will not hurt the midrange and up, but, they will hurt your low end torque and your wallet. Why buy something that has no benefit to what you are doing?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lt. Frank Bullitt

That is correct. NSR cams do not require them, besides, your bottom end torque and power will suffer if you do use them. Otherwise, for VSR and more aggressive grinds, yes, you want to use them as the risk of kissing a piston is greater. If comp cams indicates they are required in their spec sheet, then do it. If they say they are not required, believe it.
+1

ORIGINAL: Brian_Zinchuk

Well in the VSR cams that I'm getting it only states to change springs. Here is the cam that I'm getting installed, do I need the limiters? Even if I don't NEED them will it do any good putting them on?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=FRD3VCK
Those are the "old" stage 4 comp cams, and they dont require lockouts.

Someone correct me if i´m wrong but isnt 16.5* lobe separation angle a bit much for a SC aplication ?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Ok thats the answer that i was looking for, they will be of no benifit at all.
howarmat: Cause I want to get some power and great sound from the cams, then I'm going up in boost after I get my aftercooler from Vortech. I dont need to be snapping rods on my dd.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Just put in the 127300s got them from Brenspeed. They didnt send them in the kit and if they would be needed they would have said so. My car with the long tubes sounds great..
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I added Comp Cam Limiters in my engine build as a compromised safety net vs lockouts. I believe that they will reduce any VCT slap (if it occurs) to harmless levels, preventing phaser/cam pin failure. Someday in the future lingers new heads and cams anyway....so the $220 didn't really hurt right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Phaser Limiters from Comp Cam