Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty Headers worth or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

Default Shorty Headers worth or not?

So i have some change burning a hole in my pocket and i was thinking about my next mod and i'm wondering if shorty headers are really worth it. I'd love to longtube it but i'd like to keep it so it passes inspection without having to run around changing parts or paying somone under the table.

From what i can tell JBA seem very popular and they anounce about 20rwhp. pretty decent if it's true but we all know how every brand has miracle numbers to say the least most times not saying its the case but it could be. And this is why i need some help.

For those with them or any other for that matter i'd likesome insight on this.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty Headers worth or not?

The shorties will gain you mainly in the low end and mid range. So for a street warrior they're great. The sound will improve (though not as loud and deep as LT) and will let you keep your stock cats if needed for inspections.

From what I have read, JBA ceramic tuned shorties are the way to go. But the BBKs are excellent too.

I thought about doing shorties since I like the power to be more on the low end since I'm a street driver and incase I needed to have emissions testing. But the way I figure it, I won't need to for a long time and even if I do move to a place where they do emissions (OBD-II) I'll find a way around it. I hear about people passing OBD-II checks with LT with high flows or off-road pipes all the time without having to bribe so it's all good. I'll do the ol switcheroo if I have to.

But anyway, don't feel bad about shorties. They are great and WILL give you big gains, but only on the low/mid end. So don't listen to people who say they don't do anything. They be wrong. And who knows, with how I am with flip-flopping on stuff I may end up with shorties anyway. Making up my mind is almost impossible.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have JBA Shorties.......They look good, sound good, flow good, wont throw codes and are 50 State legal.....What else can you ask for.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kinglasher

So i have some change burning a hole in my pocket and i was thinking about my next mod and i'm wondering if shorty headers are really worth it. I'd love to longtube it but i'd like to keep it so it passes inspection without having to run around changing parts or paying somone under the table.

From what i can tell JBA seem very popular and they anounce about 20rwhp. pretty decent if it's true but we all know how every brand has miracle numbers to say the least most times not saying its the case but it could be. And this is why i need some help.

For those with them or any other for that matter i'd likesome insight on this.

Thanks!
If your looking for that low end kick in the pants feeling off the light and want to feel as though you have more horses under the hood... then go gears if you already haven't.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I want shorties too. ...for the same reasons.

Read this installation article. It gives some numbers

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

I want shorties too. ...for the same reasons.

Read this installation article. It gives some numbers

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
Nice read! Imagine having both the shorty headers and a set of 4.10 gears. Can you say torque-mania?!?!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I love my shorties, I went with FRPP. If you want to go LT you can go with the bbk LTs and get their shorty x-pipe w/ high flow cats. thats what they installed on HP TV on the guys 07 stang. I'm thinking about going with that combo after I finish my suspension swap which comes after the cams and cooler.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I have JBA Shorties.......They look good, sound good, flow good, wont throw codes and are 50 State legal.....What else can you ask for.
Yep, plus one...I love the JBA's.....

Imagine having both the shorty headers and a set of 4.10 gears. Can you say torque-mania?!?!
Yeah, it is a lot of fun stoplight to stoplight....First is VERY quick.......
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I read somewhere that the FRPP shorties were 50 state legal too. They are not equal length, but I am wondering just how much "equal length" even matters. I'll probably go with BBK since Brenspeed will alter my tune for free then.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

warmachine: If you do go FRPP make sure you get the ceramic.

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers worth or not?