Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual Transmission Fill Technique.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Transmission Fill Technique.

do you have anymore pics because those dont work? and how long should i wait to change my tranny fluid...my car has about 15k miles on it
Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Srt2Stang725 The pictures do work, you need to click on the links.

Dragon Stang - I gota question, I do not have the repair manual, could you post a picture or give some simple instructions/how to? The winter will be here soon andI think I would like the synthetic fluid in my transmission.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ym42

Dragon Stang - I gota question, I do not have the repair manual, could you post a picture or give some simple instructions/how to? The winter will be here soon andI think I would like the synthetic fluid in my transmission.
I never thought of the pipe/funnel technique myself. I'd go with the under hood part if I did it, I guess, spilling any ATF inside would really **** me off. But funnel or pump, I thought it was pretty cool that Ford made the drain and fill plugs both so that all you need is a 3/8" ratchet. The drain is front/bottom of the trans, the fill is front/upper passenger side. You just need to get the thing up off the ground so you can get under it. I use "Tufoil" in my engine, and a 10% mix in the transmission. Really viscous stuff. I used the pump system, and to get the Tufoil in I put it in my "fill" container up front, and by the time I put in all the fluid, the Tufoil was also in the transmission.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

haha....i was just talking about this in the RP thread.

You can also feed it through the shifter hole inside the car if you want. Either way work better than using a pump IMO
Shifter hole is best. I did a writeup about it when i changed my clutch.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the shifter hole would be the obvious choice. In my case, I had recently installed a MGW shifter. As such, I did not want to disturb the dynamat. The next best choice for me was the technique I described. No issues with spilling oil on the interior. The fill was quick and easy.

algregory... What is it with you and the Tuffoil? You know that stuff is going to do more damage than good. Stop putting solids into your engine and tranny oil for the love of Gawd!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ym42

Here is an exploded view of the 3650 tranny:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=285&viewfil...ansmission.pdf
Just scroll down near the bottom of the page. You will see the tail section of the tranny. The fill plug is labeled "28" and the drain plug is "18". You can remove the plugs with a 3/8" drive ratchet. Remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug. Be carefull when you install the plugs. The tranny is aluminium. Do not over tighten the plugs or you may crack the plug bosses. I used a little blue (medium) loctite on the plug threads andscrewed them in untiljust "snug tight" about 10 to 12 lb-ft torque. The loctite will seal the threads and keep the plug in place.The tranny will hold 3 liters of oil or 3.2 US quarts. Do not over fill!
Good luck Dude
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
traxxton

pictures on first page do not work anymore. could they be reupped?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by traxxton
pictures on first page do not work anymore. could they be reupped?
There's no need, because my pictures still work and it's much simpler to pull the shifter cover off and run a hose through the shifter hole.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ion-fluid.html

Any hardware store sells tubing by the foot for cheap. I'm pretty sure that is 3/8 inch tubing and it fit perfect in the fill hole. Buy 3 bottles of royal purple synchromax, 4 if you want to put in 3.2 quarts. The royal purple bottles work great to squeeze the fluid into the transmission and if you are really worried about spilling oil inside the car, then buy 6 feet of hose.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

There are a few different ways to change the fluid. Pick your favorite and go with it.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Calgt08
1st Gear Member

I pulled the shifter boot and run it that way. Took 2 mins to route the hose and 10 mins to fill. Man that was slow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fill Technique.