Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tensioner and belt for whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default tensioner and belt for whipple

i think my belt is slipping, and could be the infamous tensioner problem. so i'm gonna order the thumprrr tensioner w/ the 90mm idler. but idk where to get the belt the part number is gates 061247 i think. the sound is like a squealing at 2000 rpms and up, not that bad bc it just started and i notice some dust in the SC pulley. any input, or where to get the belt?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i think my belt is slipping, and could be the infamous tensioner problem. so i'm gonna order the thumprrr tensioner w/ the 90mm idler. but idk where to get the belt the part number is gates 061247 i think. the sound is like a squealing at 2000 rpms and up, not that bad bc it just started and i notice some dust in the SC pulley. any input, or where to get the belt?
I always get dust on my pulley but I dont think its because the belt is slipping. is it?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Belts are hard to find unless you go straight to whipple who charges like $70 or something. I gave up finding one, but I will get one soon. Some have had luck hitting the local parts place and having them call gates direct.

As far as the tensioner goes, see if thumprr will do a group buy. I was planning on calling ST motorsports to see if I could start one for their frankentensioner. That one is like $300, strong but not as pretty as thumprr's.

I am going to buy one soon though.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I get dust on my pulley too and have never seen belt slip. I would say it is normal
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

come to think of it, i've noticed the dust for a while now, but the squealing just started a few days ago. the belt looks fine, the ribs dont look shiny like they've been polished from the pulleys, but man i hate that sqealing noise, i've done some searches and i'm leaning toward this tensioner as the solution. i'm also considering an 8 rib conversion w/ the tensioner. i hate having the whipple in there but afraid to get on it bc i might strip the belt.
heres a link to the 8 rib
http://www.bggperformance.com/index....products_id=34
heres their tensioner
http://www.bggperformance.com/index....products_id=30
heres the thumper tensioner
http://shop.thump-rrrracing.com/prod...=1&productId=2

either tensioner is fine w/ me as long as it doesnt slip. anybody got any experience w/ either one, i here the thumprrr one is great, havent heard about the BGG one.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

Onerderful100 i had the squealing problem also and was going out of my mind trying to fix it. i replaced the idler pulley and tensioner pulley but that didnt work. i finally fixed it by changing the belt,that was the problem. i also bought the stronger tensioner from roush JDM sells them its a nice piece.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Go Post on S 197forum.com the BGG and Thumprr are both over there.

I dont power shift my car but wanted something a little stronger so I dont have to worry about it.

Thumprr is the best from what I have seen but big $$$$
BGG no idea but his 8 rib kits are good so i figure must be ok.
Frankentensioner, ugly and cheaper and pretty strong. But some of the real serious guys have broke them. But like I said I dont power shift and dont really track my car so it is more preventative.

It is just I am spoiled now after the Mcloud group buy so I want to get everything that way.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i just signed on s197 forums a couple days ago, (under a different alias) but you'll recognize my car in sig. i think i will go w/ the 8 rib conversion, but i'm also taking it in to have it checked tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do for it right now, for a temporary fix until i get the 8 rib and tensioner.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Remember guys that your belt is going to slip a little because it has to. If your tension is to tight, you'd snap belts left and right.

Peter's (thumprr) tensioner is the ***** best IMO. I honestly would not worry about going to an 8 rib if I was under 450 rwhp, but that's just me. I'd just get the tensioner and a good gates belt.

If you're seeing a lot of belt dust, then chances are it's more of a rubbing/alignment issue than slipping. Check your belt to see if you are getting any fraying anywhere and then track the source. In some cases, one or 2 of Peter's billet 76mm smooth idlers are the easy fix as sometimes the belt likes to rub or hang on the edges of the stock idlers. The #7 pulley is also sometimes culprit (it's the ribbed one to the left of the power steering pulley).

You can go to gates website and enter your zip code and find local retailers for the belt...

http://www.gates.com/automotive/dist...ocation_id=539
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

get the thumprr tensioner and dont look back, best thing i did for my belt issues

Quick Reply: tensioner and belt for whipple